Question

Sonos AMP: No regrets

• 27 August 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge
Hi all,

i am about to buy a sonos Amp.

With the setup below, to replace my Sonos Beam / Sonos Sub / HT setup.

Sonos AMP connected to the TV
SVS subwoofer connected to the Sonos AMP,
Wharfedale floor standing speakers connected to the Sonos AMP,
2 x Play 1’s in the rear for surround (wirelessly connected to the Sonos AMP).

In the hope that i would have a better Bass response, full sound (from the Wharfedales)

however, there are a few threads and posts where people are saying that they are having some issues with 3rd party subwoofer and the sonos Amp.

Whether it is a loss in power, weak signal, not getting a signal, etc.

I really don’t want to spend $1k and then regret it.

Is there any one who have a Sonos Amp and a 3rd party subwoofer and 3rd party speakers who absolutely love it and produce awesome sound that you would highly recommend this product ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

3rd subwoofers and amp all broken for alot of people right now and with no official response. How did you go?

You didn’t mention the fact your Sonos Amp was broken in this thread? Who are the ‘lots of people’ that you are referring to in your post above? 

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-amp-and-3rd-party-subwoofer-issue-6820588/index3.html#post16387357

Have you telephoned Sonos Customer Care? What did they say about your issues?

however, there are a few threads and posts where people are saying that they are having some issues with 3rd party subwoofer and the sonos Amp.

My observation is that there are a small number of threads about this, compared to the number of Amps that must be in the field by now. I suppose it's possible that very few people are using 3rd party subs, but I'd suggest it's more likely the posters have defective units or some other configuration-related phenomena are responsible.

Is it possible for you to obtain (or borrow) an Amp on a returnable basis, and give it a quick try with your setup? That would be the definitive test.

(My Amp drives a pair of floor-standers that provide good bass on their own. The Amp performs well. I don't use a 3rd party sub so unfortunately I can't help with your real request.)

I have a 3rd party sub and the Sonos Amp and have no issues whatsoever. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi all,

i am about to buy a sonos Amp.

With the setup below, to replace my Sonos Beam / Sonos Sub / HT setup.

Sonos AMP connected to the TV
SVS subwoofer connected to the Sonos AMP,
Wharfedale floor standing speakers connected to the Sonos AMP,
2 x Play 1’s in the rear for surround (wirelessly connected to the Sonos AMP).

In the hope that i would have a better Bass response, full sound (from the Wharfedales)

Whether it is a loss in power, weak signal, not getting a signal, etc.

I really don’t want to spend $1k and then regret it.

Is there any one who have a Sonos Amp and a 3rd party subwoofer and 3rd party speakers who absolutely love it and produce awesome sound that you would highly recommend this product ?

Did you manage to get the Sonos amp and everything works as expected?

I have the setup you propose except for the 3rd party sub. It works really well and I'm very happy with it for TV, Video (using a Bluray player that converts to DD5.1), and music. My floor standers don't really need much bass help, although I'm sure a sub would add even more bottom end.

One question: why not keep the Sonos sub you say is part of the gear you are replacing? I'm almost certain it can be bonded to your proposed setup rather than use a 3rd party sub.

Cheers, Peter.
Badge
Thanks @Peter Mc , the reason why i'm intending to replace the Sonos Sub is because i already own a much larger/more powerful sub which is producing really great results (with my current Onkyo AV receiver).

my current floor standers are doing very well with a traditional NAD power amplifier.

i was just hoping that i could combine all of these components into one setup - and be able to access Sonos / Spotify etc. in the one room.

Glad to hear that your setup works well and you're happy with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My observation is that there are a small number of threads about this, compared to the number of Amps that must be in the field by now. I suppose it's possible that very few people are using 3rd party subs, but I'd suggest it's more likely the posters have defective units or some other configuration-related phenomena are responsible.

Is it possible for you to obtain (or borrow) an Amp on a returnable basis, and give it a quick try with your setup? That would be the definitive test.

(My Amp drives a pair of floor-standers that provide good bass on their own. The Amp performs well. I don't use a 3rd party sub so unfortunately I can't help with your real request.)

3rd subwoofers and amp all broken for alot of people right now and with no official response. How did you go?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I recently added an amp and Ikea bookshelf as surrounds. Though I think they are going back. I'm having some issues with the amp so interested in reading some replies (sub very low volume and video speech drops out on occasion). Bumping your thread in the hope you get some. 😀

Edit, didn't want my fp to be negative. I should have said the amp is a very nice unit and as a digital amp and streamer it's very good, just some issues I hope I can work through.