Sonos Amp make loud popping sound, then goes into fault mode (orange/white LED)

• 26 November 2020
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 1 reply

I have a Sonos Amp powering two Sonance in-ceiling speakers, which were installed last December and have worked flawlessly for about 11 months. Absolutely zero issues since day one, and I’ve been completely satisfied and impressed.  But just recently, the system will play fine for around 30 - 60 minutes before a LOUD static/pop/crackling sound will occur for a split-second and then the music or TV audio immediately stops and the Amp goes into fault mode (alternating orange/white LED).  I have pulled both Sonance speakers from the ceiling to check the wires are still properly connected, as well as checking all connections at the Amp itself.  This issue occurs both while playing music through the Sonos app and while playing TV audio via HDMI ARC connection.  Since the issue occurs when playing through both wireless and HDMI input sources, I don’t believe it’s audio-input issue.  Could this be an overheating issue, and if so, why would this just now begin to occur after 11 months?  I have submitted diagnostics (conf. # 2124963041), but I’m not sure where to go from here.  My concern is that I purchased the Amp and Sonance speakers on 11/28/19, so my warranty is only a few days from expiring.  Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JTW.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the step(s) that you did especially your effort in submitting the diagnostic, let me help you out.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, there’s no registered Sonos product found on this system, but I noticed that there’s another household/system associated with your account.

The condition you are experiencing (LED light flashes alternating ORANGE → WHITE) is an indication that there’s really something going on with the device.

It would be best to reach out to Sonos Support so we can take a closer look at this and diagnose the device in real-time to expedite the process.

I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, for they can also view the device details on their end to provide an answer to your warranty question(s).

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Annazel,

Thank you for your response. I did an online chat with Sonos Support earlier today, and my case number is 02337149.  We tried a hard reset of the Amp.  The support rep told me to play the system and submit the diagnostics once the problem happened again, which it did about an hour later. I submitted the diagnostics at 11:12am CST, and the confirmation number is 584516539.

Please let me know if this information is useful to help you in determining the problem with my Amp.

Thanks,

Jason

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JTW.

Thanks for your response and update.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, symptoms indicative of fault condition has been detected. I check the case number you provided and it seems that all the suggested troubleshooting steps were already taken. According to the chat support’s advice, you have to contact back the Support team through chat or phone and provide the same case number when it happens again. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

What ever came of this ?

this identical issue just started for me too - 

after upgrading to 2nd generation amp 

Plays fine for 45 seconds - then loud pop - no sound and orange and white light 

case number 02672415

worked fine for 9 years with gen 1 amp

Please advise, Thanks Bruce.  

I have an update - after reading the troubleshooting suggestions on sonos.com for this fault - I disconnected the speakers from the amp, rebooted and then played a song at max volume ( without the speakers connected obviously ) - within a minute got the orange and white fault - 

I called support again, referenced my case, explained what I did above - and after looking at the logs on the amp - they determined the amp was in fact faulty - 

an RMA is on its way

I bought the amp about a month ago and it has been working flawlessly until today.  It consistently crashed causing the speaker to make a popping sound after around 25 seconds of Airplay. I tried to power reset it and having difficult to pair it with wifi again.