Answered

Sonos Amp line input A/D conversion

• 13 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 88 replies

I understand the Sonos Amp is based on the Qualcomm DDFA CSRA6620 chip.  I was wondering if that chip does the line input digital to analog conversion.  If not, does anyone know what chip or any additional details.

I’m very pleased with how the amp digitizes my turntable input which is why I’m curious.

Here’s some info on the DDFA chip if someone more technical can sort this out.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/csra6620

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 14 November 2020, 02:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

So, several things going against you here. First, as what I assume is a competitive move, Sonos doesn’t publish electrical diagrams of their speakers. Second, they discourage users from opening them by invalidating any warranty as soon as the device is opened. Third, they don’t even provide an authorized service option. Fourth, the market Sonos appears to be interested in is the “plug and play” market, and not the audiophile market where such statistics are thought to be significant, and worthy of argument. 

Since this is a community site, and not a direct connection to the Sonos design team, you’re unlikely to get much solid information here. I would guess there are other places where people talk about disassembly and repair/replacement.

In the Advanced systems area of the forum, there have been occasional posts from people who have opened them, perhaps you might get further information by posting in one of those threads, although to my faint recollection, they’re mostly about power supply replacements, but I haven’t followed them too closely. 

A/D chips are commodity items and the math they use (Nyquist/Shannon) has been around for almost 100 years.  If you ever find one that is not transparent to the source, it is because the manufacturer is deliberately coloring the sound. 

IOW, nothing to worry about. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

So I assume then that there’s no point in using a separate DAC if I were to add a Port to my legacy pre-amp/power-amp combo?