Sonos Amp Line In

• 12 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

i have a sonos amp connected HDMI to my TV and line-in to my peloton. When using LFE to my 3rd party subwoofer, the line-in removes 75% of the bass which means i have to increase the gain to hear it at the same level when just using the sonos app. When using HDMI from the TV, or the sonos app, the subwoofer is way too loud which means each time I use the line in, i have to adjust the sub gain in the app up and then move it back down when watching TV or listening to music.

Is this a known issue? How can i either set the equalizer unique to each input or have the bass output be the same across all inputs?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Does increasing the Amp’s line-in ‘source level’ to a higher value, like 9 or 10 for example, help to solve the issue for you? Goto ‘Settings/System/[Amp Room Name]/Line-In Source Level’ in the Sonos App.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

it’s already at 10 and changing it up and down doesn’t have an impact. but also, changing that level doesn’t isolate more treble or bass, it just modifies the entire stream to be higher or lower sound. 

it’s already at 10 and changing it up and down doesn’t have an impact. but also, changing that level doesn’t isolate more treble or bass, it just modifies the entire stream to be higher or lower sound. 

Yes, appreciate the source-level purpose, I just thought if it was set low, then increasing the level may have helped a little.👍

Just to add there is no way to control the output level of a 3rd party sub aside from any manual controls on the sub itself. The sub output on the Amp is not variable, outside of the volume control itself.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

i totally understand that but at the same setting on the sub, the inputs from the amp change the amount of bass that comes through. it’s uneven. 

I don’t have a setup here I could use to test/compare, as I use the Sonos Sub, but I do recall a year or so ago, some users in the community here reported a similar issue about the Amp’s low-output for the .LFE port to a couple of different ‘brands’ of 3rd party active Subs and IIRC those matters were resolved sometime later with a firmware update - I think in those cases the issue was across all audio sources and not just the line-in audio.

I’ve not seen the issue reported here recently, but in those earlier reports/threads, users were asked by Staff here to contact Sonos Customer Care, so that the matter could be investigated further. Anyhow my thoughts are to perhaps report your findings to the Support Staff, but to first take several system diagnostic reports whilst playing from the different audio sources and make a note of the playing source and the diagnostic reference number.. and see if they will look into the matter for you. You can contact Support Staff via this LINK.

HTH

Are you sure the cable from the Peloton is damaged or miswired? If the L&R were wired out of polarity it would certainly kill the bass output.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

just to close this out, i found out my bluetooth adapter wasn’t HD and the sub signal wasn’t coming in strong. when i replaced the adapter to a higher end, the sound came in beautifully through the line in port. thanks for all your help here.

Badge

Sonos amp analog input is low quality and I wouldn’t use it

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-sonos-amp.6957/