Answered

Sonos Amp functionality question

• 11 February 2021
  • 15 replies

Hello, I will start by saying I do not have Sonos right now.  I am in the process of building a new house and am thinking of installing a Sonos system.  I have, for some reason, had the hardest time wrapping my head around the system.  I think my main issue is with wired speakers and how it works within the Sonos world.  My wife wants speakers hidden in the walls/ceiling as well as outside.  I now realize that I need the AMP to have wired speakers.  My question is, do I need anything else?  I mean if I want to stream music from Pandora and I want it to play on a Sonos speaker as well as the wired outdoor speakers do the AMPS connect to the other Sonos speakers in the house?  Someone told me I still need a receiver?  Also, if I have the new ARC connected direct to my TV via earc HDMI will the arc connect with outdoor speakers connected to the AMP. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 February 2021, 22:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7

The in-wall, in-ceiling, and outdoor speakers will be wired to Sonos Amps. The Amps can connect wirelessly to any other Sonos product in your network including a Sonos Arc connected to your TV. You will be able to play the same music or TV audio through all of your connected Sonos speakers. You do not need a receiver to achieve this.

Thanks, so what would one need a receiver for anymore?  DVD/Blue-Ray all that can run direct to TV an thus play everywhere.  Assume just turntables and CD players?

I usually consider myself pretty tech smart but this really has my head spinning LOL.

Userlevel 7

A DVD/Blu-ray player would connect directly to your TV. Turntables and CD players can connect to a Sonos Five, Port, or Amp.

FYI… If you want to take advantage of the full audio capabilities of the Sonos Arc, be sure you connect it to a TV with an HDMI eARC port.

If you let us know exactly what you want to achieve in each room of your house, we can recommend the best Sonos equipment for your setup. A photo of your floor plan would be useful too.

Thanks, how many wired speakers can you hook up to 1 amp? I see it shows 1 AMP for 2 outdoor speakers but have seen other places where they say you can connect 4 speakers to 1 AMP?

Userlevel 7

Usually the Amp can power two pairs of speakers (wired in parallel). But if you use the Sonos Architectural by Sonance speakers, the Amp can power three pairs wired in parallel.

FYI… If you connect in-ceiling or in-wall speakers for a home theater setup, one Amp will need to be used for the two front channel speakers, and one Amp will need to be used for the two rear surround speakers.

Thanks, I will likely come back to you for some ideas.  I am building a house and want to “hide” some stuff just trying to make sure I have it in my head right.

“media room”:  My plan is for a Sonos Arc with TV going direct to ARC, Sonos Sub and then 2 in ceiling speakers.  Assume only need 1 AMP.

Upstairs I will have in-celing speakers in the kitchen which I know will need an AMP

In the deck I will have a set of outdoor speakers, these will need an AMP

I might have some in wall speakers in my living room as well those may need an AMP as well.

All other rooms will likely have just play 1’s or something that will connect no matter what.

Make sense?

Userlevel 7

Thanks, I will likely come back to you for some ideas.  I am building a house and want to “hide” some stuff just trying to make sure I have it in my head right.

“media room”:  My plan is for a Sonos Arc with TV going direct to ARC, Sonos Sub and then 2 in ceiling speakers.  Assume only need 1 AMP.

Upstairs I will have in-celing speakers in the kitchen which I know will need an AMP

I might have some in wall speakers in my living room as well those may need an AMP as well.

All other rooms will likely have just play 1’s or something that will connect no matter what.

Make sense?

Sounds like a fantastic Sonos system to me!

Thanks for your help. I have 1 last question. 

I can pretty much use any speakers I want for in-wall, in-cealing and outdoor and just hook to the Sonos, correct?

Userlevel 7

Yes, you can use any speakers with the Amp, but only the Sonos Architectural by Sonance speakers are compatible with Sonos’ Trueplay tuning. And you will be limited to four total speakers per Amp rather than six speakers.

So basically you would jamb 3 sets of speaker wires into 1 banana clip for the AMP>?

Userlevel 7

Four speakers:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4730?language=en_US

Userlevel 7

Six speakers:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4759?language=en_US

Thanks...the only issue then is that you have to listen to the same thing on all the speakers that are hooked to that AMP.  If I want to be independent then I need separate AMP’s.

Userlevel 7

Yes, each Amp will create one “room” or “zone”. You cannot split the audio from a single room or zone. So it’s best to have a dedicated Amp for each room or area in your home.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Make sense?

Great advice from @GuitarSuperstar . Just one comment from me. The Arc has voice control functionality, if you want the same in your other rooms then you'll need Sonos One's rather than Play:1's.