Sonos Amp crossover details

• 13 June 2020
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies

I am thinking about getting the new Sonos Amp and wondered about the subwoofer crossover.  Can anyone provide the technical details of the crossover when plugging in a third party sub?
It says the crossover is user adjustable from 50-110 Hz.
Does that mean when active, it’s both a low pass for the sub out as well as a high pass for the speakers (at the selected frequency)?
What slope is the crossover (X dB / octave)?  Is it the same slope for low pass and high pass?

Finally, for those using the Amp with a third party sub, how do you like it? How is the bass blend between sub and speakers? (please list where you have your crossover set)

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Got a response from Sonos on the phone and the answer is basically that they don’t share this information with customers.  But it seemed implied that the crossover does both high pass filter the speaker outs as well as low pass filter the subwoofer out.  If I end up getting it and can confirm this I’ll reply back again here.  Don’t think I’ll ever bother testing to find the crossover slope though.

Thank you for posting this.

I am using Sonos Amp with high end loudspeakers that are critically good down to 38Hz. I just added a high end self-powered subwoofer that is critically good from 15Hz to about 100Hz.

The fact that the Amp’s Sub Crossover is both a low-pass and high-pass is so far making it hard to get things dialed in. I had hoped honestly that the Sonos Amp’s Crossover function could be totally disabled so that I can control things from my subwoofer.

235ca,

Thank you so much for your response.  Based on what you’ve said I think I’m going to go with a Port and do my own crossover outside of the box.

Well, I went back on what I said I would do and decided to keep things simple.  I got the Amp after all.  I set the crossover at max (110 Hz), and turned off the crossover on my sub.  To my ears, it sounds fine, but I haven’t bothered to do any measurements or tweaking.  I decided the benefits of a simple setup both aesthetically and usage wise were worth any lack of tweaking ability. Hope this journey helps others.

Badge

I'm adding the Sonos amp to my system with 3rd party passive front speakers, a Yamaha receiver,  and the Sonos sub. My plan is to use the Sonos amps crossover to cap all/most of the low-end bass from the front speakers using them only for the high and mid-range and just letting the Sonos sub handle bass.  

Looking to run the line out from my receiver to the line in of the Sonos amp and possibly adding 2 Sonos OneSL's  as rear surrounds to complete the setup.   Sound like a good plan?