Answered

Sonos Amp compatability with 3rd party 4-ohm speakers

• 18 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I’d like a nice stereo setup I can use with my tv as well as for streaming music and have settled on the Sonos Amp to act as the hub due to the compact size and it has all the connectivity I want.  I want to add on Sonos Ones in other rooms eventually.

Now I really like the Wharfedale Denton 85s, but am slightly confused by all the different power ratings.  These speakers have a nominal impedance of 4ohms (min 3.8) and the manufacturers website recommends an amp of 20-120W. 

The Sonos Amp is rated at 125w at 8ohms but that goes to 250w at 4ohms.  Would this be a problem?  Can an amp really have too much power for passive speakers?  Or will it just be overhead I’m not using?

Any advice appreciated,

cheers

Pete

icon

Best answer by Kumar 19 December 2020, 02:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Excess power is never a problem so long as you retain control of the volume level slider. Excess power will have the speaker go loud and in a domestic environment, too loud for comfort, long before the slider goes to 100% and then damages the speaker if left there for too long. And if one has to choose, it better to err on the side of more power than less.

More damage is caused by amps that are under powered if you turn them too high in search of higher sound levels, and this may get done without your noticing them doing this, via distortion.

If you like those speakers, they will work fine with the Sonos Amp.

PS: it is a bit like a powerful car being safer on the road as long as it is driven responsibly than an underpowered one that may not have the reserve power to allow you to get out of trouble when a quick burst of speed is needed urgently.

Excess power is never a problem so long as you retain control of the volume level slider. Excess power will have the speaker go loud and in a domestic environment, too loud for comfort, long before the slider goes to 100% and then damages the speaker if left there for too long. And if one has to choose, it better to err on the side of more power than less.

More damage is caused by amps that are under powered if you turn them too high in search of higher sound levels, and this may get done without your noticing them doing this, via distortion.

If you like those speakers, they will work fine with the Sonos Amp.

PS: it is a bit like a powerful car being safer on the road as long as it is driven responsibly than an underpowered one that may not have the reserve power to allow you to get out of trouble when a quick burst of speed is needed urgently.

Thanks for the explanation Kumar!  I’m pretty careful with my equipment so I don’t see this being a problem :)