Sonos Amp and Sonance outdoor speakers

• 9 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hi,

I have a Sonos Amp currently running 2 outdoor Sonance speakers. I understand the Amp can run 2 pairs of Sonance speakers wired in parallel.

My Amp is right in the centre of the house and it is a very tortuous route to outside, also our house is 300+ years old and the walls are enormously thick. I managed to get the cable for the current Sonance speakers through the house when we had floors up and through the wall using a redundant Virgin media hole which had been drilled previously by an engineer.

To add a second set of Sonance outdoor speakers, I don’t really want to have to take up floors and try to drill through the wall (it’s close to 1m thick in places). Could I simply cut the current cable outside the house and add one of these:

https://www.richersounds.com/qed-3-way-speaker-switch.html

Then use the existing cables from it off to the current speakers and a new cable from it to the new speakers? 

Appreciate it will play the same music etc, but that’s fine I won’t ever want to have anything different playing. Suspect it will also scupper Trueplay, but i don’t think this works with the outdoor speakers anyway?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Yes, that’s a valid plan.  And there is no trueplay for outdoor speakers, so you are not losing anything there.

As far as the wiring goes you would need to remove the wiring from your existing speakers and connect to the speaker switch.  You would then need 4 more wires, 2 for your existing speakers and 2 for your new  speakers.  Not sure if that’s what you were saying, but you definitely don’t want to wire to 2 speakers first, then the switch, then the 2nd pair of speakers.