Answered

Sonos Amp and in celling speakers...

• 24 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi! 

I bought I very nice setup for my new house (ARC, SuB Gen3, pair of One SL, AMP and 3 pairs of Architectural speakers…. I am very disappointed since I though the amp had more than one zone…

I have wired my house for the ultimate experience…. I have also wired my backyard but it’s useless since I only have one expensive amp that can’t make the difference between my backyard speakers and my architectural speakers…

Yes!!!  I saw some cheap speaker selectors that could make the trick but you need to select them manually… This is pretty basic stuff to be able to power up 1 set of speakers in that SONOS amp… I have something to tell to SONOS manufacturer.

Why there is not a possibility to put something in the architectural speakers to be able to select à zone???? That would be good marketing too. If you need to use a specific zone, you need our amp and our architectural speakers…

Now, I would need to purchase an 800$ Amp per each zone…. But my bathroom only has one speaker… This is crazy money…. 800$ amp for two speakers in my backyard… And so on… My wife already want to kill me with my previous purchase….

My only option is to make a simple switch on the negative wire to manually close my backyard and return my wonderful Architectural speakers that were suppose to be nice and neat in my bedroom, bathroom and so on and replace them with smart speakers… (Five and one)…

In my opinion, why SONOS can’t offer Smart Architectural speakers?? Yes, power up  like a smart speaker with a 120V plug ?? That would be the ultimate!! Zone wouldn’t be an issue anymore. If they were not so expensive, I would open a Sonos Five to take the built-in amp, wifi and 120V outlet and combine it to the architectural speaker and my problem would be solved…

Is it possible to order the component mentioned earlier I order to build my own Smart Architectural speakers?????

J-F  

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 24 February 2021, 16:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi! 

I bought I very nice setup for my new house (ARC, SuB Gen3, pair of One SL, AMP and 3 pairs of Architectural speakers…. I am very disappointed since I though the amp had more than one zone…

Disappointed in Sonos?  It wasn’t a very good assumption.

I have wired my house for the ultimate experience…. I have also wired my backyard but it’s useless since I only have one expensive amp that can’t make the difference between my backyard speakers and my architectural speakers…

Yes!!!  I saw some cheap speaker selectors that could make the trick but you need to select them manually… This is pretty basic stuff to be able to power up 1 set of speakers in that SONOS amp… I have something to tell to SONOS manufacturer.

Why there is not a possibility to put something in the architectural speakers to be able to select à zone???? That would be good marketing too. If you need to use a specific zone, you need our amp and our architectural speakers…

That isn’t physically possible.  Not sure if you set the amp yourself or had someone else do it, but there are only connections for a single pair of speakers on the back of the amp.  You can connect multiple pairs there, yes, but it would be physically impossible to have the connected speakers play different audio or different volumes, controlled by the amp.  Different audio is impossible.  Different volumes can be controlled with manual controls somewhere in the line, as you know, but to be able to adjust that through the line would mean the new controlling device needs to be powered and have wireless capabilities, which somewhat defeats the point of using an amp and passive speakers to begin with.  Particularly when the simple answer is to get additional amps.

In my opinion, why SONOS can’t offer Smart Architectural speakers?? Yes, power up  like a smart speaker with a 120V plug ?? That would be the ultimate!! Zone wouldn’t be an issue anymore. If they were not so expensive, I would open a Sonos Five to take the built-in amp, wifi and 120V outlet and combine it to the architectural speaker and my problem would be solved…

No one offers powered architectural speakers because it’s much easier and safer to run speaker wire than power lines behind walls.  Putting a Sonos Five (or just it’s internals) in a wall isn’t likely to safe much money.  A pair of 5s would cost $1000, probably more in CAD.  Add in the cost of modifying it and providing powered to the ceiling location and you really aren’t saving much over the cost of an amp and two speakers. The speakers would also not be under warranty, and certainly not built to handle outdoor weather conditions.

Is it possible to order the component mentioned earlier I order to build my own Smart Architectural speakers?????

J-F  

No.

Thanks for the tip but I am still working forward to get what I want. This is a simple task to be able to enable or disable a passive speaker by controlling the negative wire per speaker…

Sonos did this because it’s the best way to make more money… I have purchase an amplifier for 6 speakers (Sonos Speakers) an I will be able to fully use it.

https://www.creationstation.build/blog/building-a-smart-speaker-switch

But Ideally, I would prefer to be able to control everything via the Sonos App but nothing is perfect. My wallet will still be happy or rather my wife will still be happy. Loll

Or, you could use the Audioflow Speaker Switch which you can control with Android and iOS: https://flow.audio