Answered

sonos amp

I recently installed a  the new sonos amp on my outdoor 2 channel system, 

I only have 2 outdoor rockquist speakers hooked to these speakers...

I ran the wire as 14 gauge outdoor cable line about 50ft... the amp produces very poor volume as you can even get volume out of the amp unless it's at 30-40% on the volume on the device..

I have the amp connected to 2 rockquist speakers 4ohm…

the system also has a sonos boost , sonos connect zp-90 connected to a stereo receiver that plays great..

Can you please help me diagnose the sonos amp as I'm getting very low volume out of it even when the volume is up ..  I'll send in diagnostics but please let me know.…

as I've been a loyal sonos customer for over 12 years and really want to resolve the issue…

Thanks,

Lou Borini

Rexford,ny 

Moderator Note: Personal information removed

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 31 May 2020, 18:01

Hello @borinilou,

While you can scale the volume to limit the maximum, there is not a corresponding feature to allow the minimum to be a higher level.

I can certainly pass your idea along to our development team for consideration.   

Certainly feel free to reach out if you have other questions or concerns regarding your Sonos system. 

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @borinilou

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your issue.

I apologize for the late reply to your post but I would be happy to help you with your Amp.

Have you checked the wired connection and made sure that they are well connected and that there are no break or shorts in the connection?

How long is the cable run between the Amp and the speakers? 

Do you have more technical information on the speakers that you have wired model name/number or other specs?

Please submit a diagnostic report from your app while the Amp is playing and include the confirmation number in your response so that we can pull up the information and access your system. 

Jean,     Any advice you could offer would be great..  I suspect the issue is the volume slider on my devices is not sensitive enough at lower volume positions as the amp isnt even audible until its over 50% on the slider…  Im enclosing a diagnostic  #1097663965  ,  The amp is driving a 2 channel 4ohm  Rockustics Rock jr. speaker system and would think would be very loud… 

I did hear from Jordan B in the tech dept for Sonos and he feels that because there is no volume min setting that there is not much that can be done… Jordan was very helpful and he also has my info on file …   Thanks, Lou B

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @borinilou,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I’ve done some digging and I can see there’s quite a bit of correspondence with our engineering team on this matter. 

Can I ask what your music source is while you are playing to the Amp?

Are you able to include a picture of the wiring on the back of your Amp? 

I’d like to look this over to see if we are missing anything here.

Wiring is 14/2 gauge outdoor cable and did run 75ft each side, its brand new cabling and did check it for grounds and fine…

here"s a pic of the back of the amp..

I noted before, I did connect t the 14/2 gauge to the zp-90 and sony amp 100watts and volume levels were fine... I do suspect that is because I leave the amp volume preset on 50% and use the slider on the sonos app to turn up or down...  this is exactly why I think the sonos amp should have a volume min setting and then it would work better in a group volume setting with the zp-90 zone out on the patio…

Here is the photo of the cable and back of the amp… any firmware,  enhancement settings or swap to try a new amp would be great..

Amp was purchased December 2019…

Thanks,

Lou

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @borinilou,

Thank you for your response.

Can I ask what you mean exactly when you say you have the Amp preset to 50%, I’m not seeing any evidence of volume scaling in your diagnostic reports.

If you turn the volume up past 50, are you able to get a listenable volume or do you you find yourself maxing out the setting and still not getting good sound? 

Jean,  it's the sony amp that's connected to my zp-90  and the volume slider controls the output of the zp-90..

Its a min vol of the amp that's set at  that enables the zp-90 volume to be sensitive at lower levels on the slider volume control…

Just wondering if there is any issue on the sonos amp output at lower volume settings and if anything can be done to correct and fix ???

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @borinilou, thank you for your response.

That depends on if you are using either the ZP-90 or the Sony amplifier as a source for the audio on the Sonos Amp.

If you are then you would either need to adjust the line out level on the Sony or turn the volume up on the ZP-90 since I can see that it is set to 0. 

Jean,

yes, that's exactly what I'm asking, is there a modification for the sonos amp to pre set a volume min level internally with the amp while the slider is set at 0%... 

that way you could start by driving the sonos amp with the min power level that my rockquists speakers require just to hear them.

I've read quite a few blogs on low volume output on the sonos amps as per the slider control at low levels …

Is there anything Sonos can do modify or help with this ???

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @borinilou,

While you can scale the volume to limit the maximum, there is not a corresponding feature to allow the minimum to be a higher level.

I can certainly pass your idea along to our development team for consideration.   

Certainly feel free to reach out if you have other questions or concerns regarding your Sonos system. 

Firmware adjustment possible ???  I think based on some of sonos community blogs and other posts on other sites like reddit and AV home theater.  Maybe this is something that a firmware update could include ???

Thank you I do appreciate the response of all the Sonos tech support team.…

Lou

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @borinilou, I can let them know that there is interest in a feature like this. That’s about the extent of my influence. 

Other than that, keep an eye out for any changes.