Sonos AMP

• 29 November 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hi Guys

Looking at buying the SONOS Amp to go with a nice pair of PSB speakers (Imagine Mini) i already have. Just wondered if anybody out there can share their experiences with it. I recently sold my Cyrus 8vs2 amp and Sonos Connect (long story) but interested in hearing people’s opinions and experiences. I am not expecting it to be as good as the Cyrus but you never know. Seems to have mixed reviews online.

I currently have a Play:5 (Gen2) in the lounge where the AMP may go, and as good as it is for £400 (certified refurbished) i am missing the stereo sound and clarity of the PSB’s. I can’t really add another Play:5 as a stereo pair due to logistics in the room.

I may jut buy it direct from Sonos and return it if i don;t like it. 

Thanks

Tom

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

As long as it isn't under powered for the speaker and application, and is made by a decent maker, amps do not have a sound signature that survives a blind test. And decent here does not mean "audiophile".

From all accounts, Sonos Amp meets this criteria. I know from extensive use that it's predecessor, the Connect Amp does.

Badge +3

As long as it isn't under powered for the speaker and application, and is made by a decent maker, amps do not have a sound signature that survives a blind test. And decent here does not mean "audiophile".

From all accounts, Sonos Amp meets this criteria. I know from extensive use that it's predecessor, the Connect Amp does.

Yeah i have had many integrated AMP’s all with a slightly different sonic character to my ears, but they don’t have as much of an impact as speaker choice in my opinion. My Cyrus had 70W and the AMP has 125W so power won’t be an issue. I am no longer interested in chasing the “audiophile” sound as it doesn’t always mean enjoyment which is the whole point of music. I think i am just missing a bit if clarity and stereo imaging. The SONOS sound may not be “audiophile” but it was never meant to be. 

That old chestnut.

I don't know any place where the description "audiophile sound" has been defined in precise terms. Mostly it ends up being that produced by expensive audio equipment, much of which is so just because it is never able to garner high sales volumes.

And to clarify: when I said "decent" it was to say that all that is needed for an amp to not have a sound signature is that quality in it's manufacture, and it need not be kit that comes from a make with claims to being "audiophile".

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Tom,

I have the Amp and use it to power two B&W 704’s. It produces a very nice sound, comparable to what I heard from a Pioneer that I tried, and it is smaller, much more unobtrusive and runs cooler.

Alan's result is exactly what I would expect, although I suggest that the "nice" is down to the speakers and their delivering a sound he likes. The amp is simply doing the job that any decent amp does these days: delivering voltage gain and nothing more that may color the sound.

PSB are also known to make good kit, and there is no reason why the amp will not get them to deliver the designed speaker performance in full.

Badge

My experience with the Sonos Amp powering my KEF 301’s has been Exceptional. Highly recommend and best of luck!