Answered

Sonos 5 stereo pair with subwoofer in Sonos home theatre

• 12 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +2
I might be jumping the gun here, but I want to have my ducks in a row in advance. My Sonos collection is growing fast. Started with a 5 a couple of weeks ago, added a Play a week later and now according to UPS tracking, I will be receiving my Sonos 5.1 system tomorrow. Everything seems to be incredibly simple to set up, but I am not sure of one thing. I will be adding another Sonos 5 for a stereo system in the same room as the home theatre. How do I get the subwoofer (only) to play with my two Sonos 5 speakers setup as a separate stereo system? As an aside, I will be adding the second 5 as soon as I get the 5.1 system set up.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 November 2017, 07:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Sonos hasn't made their system to effectively do that. In order to get the SUB to work with the pair of PLAY:5s, you have to unbond it from the PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE, and bond it to the PLAY:5s. Then, when you want to switch it back, you have to unbond it from the PLAY:5s and bond it with the PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE. Basically, in order to switch the SUB between the 5.1 setup and the stereo speakers, you have to re-set up the SUB.

There have been many threads that have suggested a change to make this easier, and the only comment has been "we'll pass the request on to the team". Many of us have (perhaps cynically) suggested that this is due to the fact that they don't want to reduce sales of the SUB.

tl:dr, it can be done, but it's not convenient in any way.
Badge +2
Thanks so much for your reply - that probably saves me some aggravation in the near term. Hopefully, as many have suggested in other threads, the base response in the stereo paired 5's will be adequate and in that I now have older, not as discriminating ears, it might work to my satisfaction without the hassle described above.