Answered

Sonos 1 vs Sonos 2

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 11 replies

Hi, I have just been given a Roam as a gift to add to my existing Sonos suite.  I have the older technology (Play 3 and Play 5) using Sonos 1.  From what I am reading it appears I cannot link the 2 together.  To use the Roan I have to be on Sonos 2, but if I upgrade to Sonos 2 are my Play 3 and Play 5 speakers rendered useless?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 May 2022, 11:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

The PLAY:3 is S2 compatible, many PLAY:5s are as well, although not the first generation.

Many people run both operating systems, S1 and S2, in the same home. The only thing precluded is the ability to group speakers from the two operating systems together.  All devices running S1 will continue to run S1 and there would be no changes to them. They would not be rendered useless. 

Play:5/gen1 can’t run S2. The Play:3 can.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The PLAY:3 is S2 compatible, many PLAY:5s are as well, although not the first generation.

Many people run both operating systems, S1 and S2, in the same home. The only thing precluded is the ability to group speakers from the two operating systems together.  All devices running S1 will continue to run S1 and there would be no changes to them. They would not be rendered useless. 

Thanks for the info.  That is such  relief.  It is frustrating though that I cannot simply connect the Roam to my iPhone via Bluetooth.  So, I am hoping there are some good SIMPLE instructions on how to run the 2 (S1 & S2) together

You can simply connect the Roam over Bluetooth. But it needs to have been set up first.

Install the S2 app and set up the Roam as a new system, then the BT will be available.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Pardon my ignorance, to install S2 I assume it uninstalls S1?  Is that correct?  If so how do I run both S1 and S2 so I can run my old products and the new Roam?

Both S1 and S2 apps can be installed at the same time. 

When you set up the Roam it can sometimes help to temporarily power off all the S1 units. This is just during the S2 setup. It prevents the controller from seeing the existing units and getting confused. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok, I installed S2, which asked me to uninstall my existing products.  I am now left with my play 3 registered against my S1 app.  When I go to the S2 app, and into system I am getting an Incompatible message against the play 3 speaker…..that Ok I think, but the add product option is greyed out.  If I select that I get an incompatible software version message .  I cannot get the play 5 speaker to connect to either S1 or S2 nor get the new Roam speaker to connect to either OR via bluetooth

Userlevel 1
Badge

I try to update the S1 app but it takes me to the App Store but only the S2 app

It appears you didn’t do as directed, to (a) power off all your existing units temporarily then (b) set up the Roam as a new system using the S2 app. By the sound of things you added the S2 app to your existing system.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Whilst I very much appreciate your assistance “ratty”, that may or may not be true.  I don't specifically recall seeing anything relating to powering the devices off.  I must admit I was playing with a number of home automation tools at the same time (setting up a Eufy Robe Vacuum Cleaner).  May I trouble you (or will I need to seek Sonos expertise) for a solution to this problem I now have…...many thanks once again

It doesn’t sound as though the Play:3 has updated to S2, which is good.

You should be able to recover things as follows. 

• Power off the Roam by pressing and holding the power button until it makes a shutdown sound and the status LED goes out.

• Make sure your S1 app can see the Play:5. If it can’t, reset the app (in Settings/App Preferences) then when it restarts tell it to connect to an ‘existing system’. If the app asks for a button to be pressed on a speaker, do so on the Play:5.
  • Make sure you can see the Play:3 as well. If not, factory reset it and re-add it.
  • You should then have your S1 system back as was.

• Power off the Play:3 and Play:5 temporarily.
  • Reset the S2 app (Settings/App Preferences).
  • I suggest you also factory reset the Roam.
  • Start the S2 app and create a ‘new system’ with the Roam.

You can then power your S1 kit up again.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks once again for your patience.  You may just desert me now though as I think in my attempt to rectify this I have done the one thing you thought I hadn't done.  I got my Play 3 and Roam now working on S2 but I am unable to do anything with the S1 app.  When I select it  it, I am presented with a message that says Use Sonos S2 app, so can't get to the Play 5 to reset it from a system perspective.

Actually if you follow my carefully worded directions above you should end up with:

• your S1 app connected to your Play:5 (which can only run S1)
  • your Play:3 re-connected to the S1 system, since it should downgrade itself as necessary if you factory reset and re-add it
  • your Roam reset and set up as a new standalone S2 system
Userlevel 1
Badge

Roam is Off

I select the S1 App on my phone but it won't open for me to see what's connected to it.  It immediately goes to a screen that says Use Sonos S2 App.  At the bottom of the screen  it has more options with one being reset App.  I select that and reset but that has no affect.  I select S1 and connect to an existing system, which it does, but then presents the same screen saying Use Sonos S2 app

Turn off the Play:3. Leave just the Play:5 on and try again. 

A Play:5/g1 can only run S1. A reset S1 app should be able to connect to it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks once again.  Before I attempt this can I confirm something please.  Obviously the S1 system needed the bridge.  After turning off the Play 3, the S1 app is now responding but it has come up saying we found the bridge and did I want to add it to the existing system.  If I select that it goes into a help screen identifying how to replace a wired Sonos product.  Is the bridge THE wired product?

The S1 system did not need the Bridge. You could wire any other device in its place, or connect the system to your WiFi instead.

Power off the Bridge for now. Wire the Play:5. Start the S1 app and make sure it can see the Play:5. If not, reset the app and connect to the ‘existing system’.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Ratty, sorry for the few days off.  Work and other things got in the way.  Thank you so much for your assistance.  I followed the last instructions and now have the Play 5 working on the S1 app.  However at the moment it is still connected direct to my router.  When I unplug it I lose connectivity.  That's where I thought the Bridge was required.  My limited knowledge cannot work out how to run the Play 5 over my wifi without the Bridge…….I trust you can spare me one last piece of advice

Once again, thanks so much for your asistance

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe hook the 5 to Ethernet, on the controller set your WiFi credentials, wait a few minutes then unplug the Ethernet and see if it connects.

Should be a Sonos FAQ on the exact steps.

You currently have a 'wired' Sonos S1 system. You need it to be 'wireless'.

This link tells you what to do

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thankyou all very much…….I now have 2 Sonos systems working and even ordered a boost to help things along.  Vey much appreciate the time you took to offer suggestions