Question

Sonance sr2-125 vs Sonos Amp

• 15 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

I’m buying the Sonance Patio 4.1, which has 4 outdoor satellite speakers and 1 subwoofer, the package comes optional with the SR2-125 amp . If I get this kit I would still need to purchase the Sonos Port to connect it to the rest of my home system….or could I simply replace the sr2-125 with the Sonos Amp?

that would save me about 500$,  however the guy at the audio store said that although it’s compatible he would definitely not recommend replacing the sr2-125 with a Sonos Amp.

any thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I know nothing about the Sonance device. But the Sonos Amp, when used in home theater mode, is designed to drive two external speakers, which when combined, create a faux center channel. In order to have surrounds, you’d need either a second Amp, or a pair of normal Sonos speakers.

So, based on what you’ve said, it doesn’t appear to be a one to one swap, and suggests why there is a price difference. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Micha007mk, thank you for reaching out and getting our attention to this.

To answer your question, to be on the safe side I recommend the Port route.

Since when I checked the Sonance amp there’s a way for the Port to connect with the RCA input for the Sonance amp.

I did encounter a customer who had the Sonance MAG 4.1, where the Sonos Amp is the amp of the system.

However, when I checked the Sonance website this is no longer mentioned.

So to be safe, I recommend the Port instead. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge

Thanks for answer, sometimes the more expensive option isn’t necessarily the best one but I guess if I want to take full advantage of the system I should stick to the recommendations to get the sr2-125 and a port 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Both amps are only 2 channel. The difference between the two is that the Sonos Amp has two powered outputs for left and right, and a line-level out for a powered subwoofer.  Unless I’m reading the manual wrong, the subwoofer in that kit is unpowered and is driven using the same speaker wires and amplifier as the other four speakers.  So, the Sonos Amp is no equipped to power the subwoofer without and extra amp and some weird wiring configurations to split the signal.  So, in this case, the SR2-125 seems to be not necessarily a better amp, just a customized configuration for the setup.

If I’m reading the manual correctly.

Badge

They suggested that you could get a better (louder) sound off of the sr2-125, the guy said the Sonos amp didn’t have enough juice (which is strange because I thought they had the same strength) he closed out the conversation by saying he wouldn’t sell me the kit with the Sonos Amp, I either take it with the sr2-125 or with no amp.

perhaps because you have to split the Subwoofer signal with the Sonos amp it would make the entire kit less powerful.