So much for buying Sonos...

Userlevel 2
I was quite upset yesterday when I was trying to get a cost estimate to put Sonos into my house. It appears that the ZP100 bundles are no longer available - what the **** is going on?

I have 8 zones that we are going to wire right now, 5 additional ones that will be done down the road, and an additional 4-5 in the future (when we build our pool house).

Of the 8 zones, only 2 will be potentially using a ZP80, so that leaves me with need 6 ZP100's. In addition to this, my wife and I wanted to utilize buying the bundles in order to get 1 controller for every 2 zones.

The cost was going to be $4400 (2x new bundle, and 2x ZP100 bundle), but now that amount for the exact same hardware is going to be $5000, or a 12% increase (2x new bundle, 4x zp100, and 2x controller).

I'm sorry Sonos, but you don't own the market, and changes like this are stupid and will make people like me go find another solution, or just not do it.

In addition to that, you managed to completely ruin mine and my wife's good perception of your company with this decision. Why should I trust buying into your closed system if these are the types of business practices you have?

I sure hope you correct your foolhardy decision. For what it is worth - your excuse of "well, we listened to our customers..." is a load of ****. Please do the right thing and correct this problem.

Sincerely,

Devin

65 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Just call them and I bet they will give you a nice deal. 1-800-680-2345

ghost
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Your rant seems a little harsh... geez.

But I do agree that they should have kept the old bundle and simply added a new one.

Do what you want, but I'm telling you - I highly doubt that you'll find another solution as elegant as SONOS. Trust me - I've looked and looked and nothing compares.

18 zones?? Are you replicating the Whitehouse?? 😛
Badge +8
I gotta wonder.. anyone who has pockets deep enough to have the need for 13 zones in the house and is adding a pool house big enough for 4-5 zones usually isn't crying over a measley $500.00 .. Maybe need another zp100 for the bridge where the TROLL lives 🙂
Userlevel 2
lol - I wasn't trying to be harsh. I've been working on my wife to do whole house audio for 4 years. After I finally get the okay, the price goes up... As my wife was looking over my shoulder when I found this out, now I've got to do more work to convince her (let alone myself) that Sonos is still the way to go.

As for the number of zones - lol, it's a big house, and we pre-wired for speakers on the deck, in the garage, etc, etc.

They really do need to either bring the bundles back that they got rid of, or give the equivalent discount.

Oh well.
Userlevel 2
LOL - I wish $$ wasn't a concern. The fact is that I pre-wired the house when built and that was 8 zones. We are finishing our downstairs this summer - hence why the additional zones and most especially why the cost concerns.

As for the pool house - yeah, that's a pipe dream at this time. I mentioned it as I wanted to:
a) Show the total # of zones - eventually (or hopefully!)
b) Show Sonos (whoever from the company reads this forum) that this is/was going to be a bigger install.

It just seems counter-productive for them to have done this. Half of what sold my wife and I on Sonos was reading all the positive opinions here on this board.

Anyways. Just because it is/was going to be a larger install doesn't mean that the money is any less of a concern.

I gotta wonder.. anyone who has pockets deep enough to have the need for 13 zones in the house and is adding a pool house big enough for 4-5 zones usually isn't crying over a measley $500.00 .. Maybe need another zp100 for the bridge where the TROLL lives :-)
Userlevel 2
I am pretty much in the same boat as Vorpel. After much research and more research I decide to get a ZP100 bundle, with hopes of adding more bundles later on. Unfortunately the extra $200 is enough to put the brakes on this for me. I hope the discontinuation of the ZP100 and ZP80 bundles are because SONOS has experienced strong enough sales that they feel they do not need the bundles to entice customers any more, and not becuase they are desparate for the additional cash.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Im in the exact same boat. Was going to buy ZP100 bundle last week, but they are gone!

One rumor I heard was that Sonos is trying to deplete the ZP100 and ZP80 hardware equally, to make room for a new line of hardware. It's just a rumor, but you know it really does make sense to me. Only sensible explanation for this, otherwise makes NO SENSE TO ME!!!! Very upset about the whole situation.
Userlevel 2
Agreed.
I was all set to buy additional Sonos equipment and will now be holding off now until something changes.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yup, me too. My purchase is on permanent hold until I understand what is happening. i.e. new hardware soon?

Agreed.
I was all set to buy additional Sonos equipment and will now be holding off now until something changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I also agree with Vorpel, 2 weeks ago we purchased a ZP100 speaker bundle (& cradle), then two more, BUT now we cannot order a fourth because they have been axed!

Now we feel a bit "cheated" as the system we spent so much time checking out has had its whole pricing structure changed without notice.

The whole point of Sonos is to have multi room (sorry zones), so a starter pack with just 2 ZP100 zoneplayers was just too few anyway. Sonos should offer a 2, 3, 4 and maybe even 5 ZP100 bundles.

Does anyone really want a load of ZP80s, after all I thought the USP of the Sonos was that you could control all the zones from one place, without having to run around turning amps on and off?

Yes one or two ZP80s might be useful to allow for the input of other sources into the Sonos system, but not one ZP80 for every ZP100.

Whist I am being "harsh" to Sonos; why oh why is the controller's cradle an extra? The controller should come complete with cradle. Less packaging, less frustration, not much increase in price and I am sure everyone buys the cradle in the end.

So there you have it, after just two weeks I know more about getting this product sorted than the guys and girls at Sonos!!

1 Introduce multi ZP100 bundle packs
2 Include a cradle with each controller
3 Upgrade the inbuilt hub to be 1Gb.

PS - It is a GREAT product its only the way they price / bundle it that sets me off!
Userlevel 2
Wow - thanks everyone for chiming in! I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in my frustration, though I wish it wasn't that way.

I really wish that somebody from Sonos would respond to this thread... I sent a direct PM to Chris - Sonos (after he replied to a similar thread) 2 days ago with the link to this thread, but have not heard anything yet.

I won't be buying Sonos until I get an answer to my question, and they either:

a) bring back the old bundles
b) give us a discount equivalent to the old bundle
c) introduce new hardware
d) convince me that this was the right move to made (yeah, good luck with that!)

Once again, thanks for chiming in!

- Vorpel
Userlevel 1
Badge
Personally, I am sitting tight and holding my purchase until new hardware comes out (may never happen, but I am going with that theory).
You might want to consider doing the same. Or spend extra $200 vs last week, for no reason whatsoever!
Userlevel 2
Interestingly, I'm in the opposite boat. I was sitting on the fence because I wanted a ZP80 and a ZP100, but no bundles would accommodate my budget. With the introduction of the ZP80/ZP100 bundle at $1000, I now plan on buying in a couple of weeks.

Go figure... some win, some lose. Hope you find a solution that works for you, Vorpel. My sympathies, as I was in the same situation until they introduced the new bundle.

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
I just spoke with sales, and I think I'm going to sit tight. I really need 2 more ZP100s, but I can wait. FYI, give them a call and they will work with ya.
One of Sonos' distributors in the UK told me that the ZP100 bundle and the ZP80 bundle were being discontinued because Sonos had got a position in the market hwere it was no longer necessary for them to offer discounts to new customers.

I can understand the logic of this, although like Vorpel, it hurts me too! I was merely investigating the possiblity of putting a Sonos system into a small appartment I am renovating in London and hadn't intended to buy for a couple of months. The ever-helpful Sonos distributor warned me that the bundles were being withdrawn, so I bought early. Inevitably, I was unable to resist playing with my new kit once it arrived, and it is now installed in my "proper" house, a cottage in Dorset. Within minutes, I was an addict.

So, Vorpel, consider yourself lucky: I now have to scrape together the cash to get a second Sonos system, and at the inflated price tag.

Maybe, if those nice folk at Sonos can't see their way to re-introducing the bundles, they might be able to offer their loyal customers some sort of discount on further systems?

What a great piece of kit, though...
Userlevel 1
Badge
...the ZP80 bundle were being discontinued because Sonos had got a position in the market hwere it was no longer necessary for them to offer discounts to new customers.

Pineapples! If they no longer want to offer discounts to new customers, they would offer no bundles whatsoever! When in fact, they introduced a new bundle. Makes more sense to think that Sonos is looking at getting rid of as many ZP80s and ZP100s equally as possible.
You may well be right - but why would they want to get rid of both models equally? I agree, supplying the new bundle while removing the old does look like pretty strange strategy, unless the ZP80s were not selling so well - but that doesn't seem likely to me...

If they really wanted to maximise sales, why not keep the old bundles and add more?

Its STILL a great piece of kit, though...
Userlevel 2
Bollocks! If they no longer want to offer discounts to new customers, they would offer no bundles whatsoever! When in fact, they introduced a new bundle. Makes more sense to think that Sonos is looking at getting rid of as many ZP80s and ZP100s equally as possible.

New hardware IS coming and I can see them wanting to sell as much of their inventory as possible, but I don't understand the "equally" part. I need 2 more ZP100s and want another controller, so the old bundle was ideal for me. Sales was nice enough to offer me that set up at the old price.

Sales told me that this new "Hybrid Bundle" is what everyone wanted. I can see adding the new bundle, but not replacing the 2 ZP100s bundle.
Userlevel 1
Badge

If they really wanted to maximise sales, why not keep the old bundles and add more?

Because obviously, there is more to it than meets the eye....
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Personally, I've always seen the bundles as introductory.

People who are starting out need a little bit extra and the bundle discount helped attract a multi-zone purchase over a single zone.

The ZP100 was introduced with a bundle 2.5 years ago.

The ZP80 was introduced with a bundle 1.5 years ago.

Both products are now well established and any first-time buyers who were attracted by that pricing have generally bought them up.

However, since the ZP80 was introduced, there have been many many posts on these forums (and requests through resellers) to provide a mixed bundle.

And so the honeymoon period now begins for the mixed bundle, to attract some more first time buyers.

Whilst many of you are new to it - Sonos is a well established product now, selling through resellers globally. When it was introduced they sold only in the US market and introductory bundles were logical to break onto the scene.

We all like a good discount, but it's only logical that the introductory pricing would have to end at some point.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I think its time to start a new thread to discuss predictions on what the new hardware will bring to the table!

Admins: Is this allowed?
justintime,

Start a new thread and have fun.

Moderators organize, remove spam and obviously illegal stuff. Once in a while we might amend a **** word just to keep things "family", but we don't censor.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Actually, in a way, someone beat me to it!!!! This is hot news!
Badge
I was quite upset yesterday when I was trying to get a cost estimate to put Sonos into my house. It appears that the ZP100 bundles are no longer available - what the **** is going on?

I have 8 zones that we are going to wire right now, 5 additional ones that will be done down the road, and an additional 4-5 in the future (when we build our pool house).

Of the 8 zones, only 2 will be potentially using a ZP80, so that leaves me with need 6 ZP100's. In addition to this, my wife and I wanted to utilize buying the bundles in order to get 1 controller for every 2 zones.

The cost was going to be $4400 (2x new bundle, and 2x ZP100 bundle), but now that amount for the exact same hardware is going to be $5000, or a 12% increase (2x new bundle, 4x zp100, and 2x controller).

I'm sorry Sonos, but you don't own the market, and changes like this are stupid and will make people like me go find another solution, or just not do it.

In addition to that, you managed to completely ruin mine and my wife's good perception of your company with this decision. Why should I trust buying into your closed system if these are the types of business practices you have?

I sure hope you correct your foolhardy decision. For what it is worth - your excuse of "well, we listened to our customers..." is a load of ****. Please do the right thing and correct this problem.

Sincerely,

Devin

Well if this isn't an obvious and pathetic attempt by a penny-pinching individual to leverage the forum to get $500 dollars off a purchase... I don't know what is. If I was Sonos, once I got over what a high roller you were and finished bowing, I would double the price and tell you to take it or leave it.

Go look elsewhere? LOL Yea, go deck out your million dollar house with some analog plastic piece of garbage you have to control on your computer? There is no elsewhere.

No one is buying the wife crap either. I use that everytime I complain the coffee isn't fresh at McD's so they don't hawk one in my cup...I'm just a pawn in the coffee ordering process. :rolleyes: If your wife is really the puppet master you make her out to be she would be typing this. My guess is she only cares if it matches the crown molding.

I think everyone else in this thread really wants to give their feedback.

So you missed the sale... Blame your wife for putting your nuts in a vice for the last 4 years over audio equipment when you were building her dream house.
Userlevel 2
Generally, when you want to clear out inventory, you cut prices. Cutting the two bundles back to one is, if anything, a price hike. I doubt it is related to imminent new products so much as an attempt to cut out "teaser" rates that have been offered previously thereby increasing overall contribution.

More to the point, I doubt that Sonos is taking the most effective tack here. I purchased a ZP100 bundle essentially as a test while I am completing some renovations. So far, I am very happy. My set up is such that I could have as many as nine ZP100s feeding separate zones plus a couple of ZP80s feeding dedicated systems. Given the current pricing that does not provide for meaningful volume discounts, I am likely to make do with far fewer Sonos units and a couple of $30 Impedence matching speaker switchers. If Sonos really understood their cost of customer acquisition, they would realize that they are far better off selling me 10+ units at somewhat discounted prices than selling me 4 at the rack rate.

Berating someone for being upset about a price increase, regardless of the size of their house or their choice of spouse, is silly. Of course people are going to be upset about price increases. Like any other business, Sonos is betting that they will make more from new customers paying on average higher rates for fewer units. I think they are wrong, but I'm not an LP in BV Ventures, so I will just do what makes sense for me.