Answered

Small Room Stereo Pair Play 5 or Add Sub

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hey everyone,

I've been reading some of the topics here debating whether one should upgrade a single Play5 (gen2) with an additional Play5 to make a stereo pair, or to add a Sub. I'm using my current Play5 in a relatively small room (say, 16'x12', maybe) with a record player. Depending on how certain records were mastered, I am still having to pump the volume up almost to max on some (yes, the record player has built-in pre-amp), as compared to when I stream music and can destroy the whole house with volume.

Because of that, I'm wanting to add another speaker, but the way the room is setup, I'd only be able to place the stereo pair about 3 feet apart, and I know Sonos recommends more like 8 feet. With that in mind, is upgrading to a stereo pair worthwhile, or would it make more sense to add a Sub? I'm wanting to get a bit more volume, but rather than just adding like a Play1 to the room, I figure might as well use this as an excuse to upgrade the sound experience as well.

Thanks for any input!
icon

Best answer by Kumar 2 May 2017, 04:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

First, read the opening post of this thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/using-a-turntable-with-sonos-6769426

There should not be a need to do what you are doing to get necessary sound levels from the record player; these should not vary to the extent they seem to, from your streaming sources.

I don't know where Sonos recommends 8 feet separation for stereo, but that isn't a good recommendation if it has been made just as such. The separation depends entirely on how far away you are from the speakers. The 8 feet works only if you are about 8 feet away from them. A lot closer and there will be a huge hole in the middle of the two speakers where the stereo effect is concerned; a lot further than 8 feet, and it will sound like mono. So if your listening distance is 3-4 feet away from the speaker pair, a 3 feet separation isn't just ok, it is recommended - my 1 pair that is on my desk has 3 feet separation and delivers a fantastic stereo image with vocals and some instruments appearing to emanate from above and behind my mac, and some from the left and to the right of it - but only when I am at my desk. And in your case, I would go that route over adding a Sub, because the new 5 units do a very good job of delivering much of what a Sub does. But no Sub can deliver the sound quality improvement that a stereo paired 5 can, placed as described above, with separation approximately equal to the listening distance.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Oh my gosh, thank you so much. I had no idea there was a line-in volume adjustment. That will be super helpful. I'm also glad to hear on the distance for the pair because I was really confused by the 8-10ft recommendation.