S1 / S2 interoperability - potential solution

• 19 May 2021
  • 4 replies

I have a home full of S1-only kit but like many others I am now effectively barred from buying any more new S2 Sonos kit due to the need to either have separate S1 and S2 systems, or brick my current kit for a 30% upgrade discount to S2. This all seems to be due to memory limitations unrelated to the actual amp and speaker properties of the S1 devices. So perhaps there is a fix for the memory issue to allow these still highly capable S1 units to operate in an S2 world?

It would seem to me a fairly simple network solution for Sonos to launch an “S1/S2” interface that sits in the distributed Sonos network and looks to the S2 network as an S2 network and looks to the S1 system as an S1 system, allowing interoperability of devices with control over all S1 devices. The necessary logic and memory could all sit in one (master) interface device for S1 (slave) devices, effectively creating in software a “virtual” S2 version of each S1 device. The interface device can then just pipe the audio to the correct physical device. Logically this would just be a control device to ensure data (in this case digitised music) is routed properly, and which virtualises an S2 environment per S1 device to allow those S1 devices to continue to deliver music. In essence, the brains for the S1 devices would move from the physical S1 units to the virtualised ones within the interface device, and the S2 system would continue to “see’ these virtualised devices as a valid part of the S2 system. Doing it all as virtualised devices would mean quite low cost and lots of flexibility, leaving the S1 physical units as dumb amp/speakers.

Sonos could no doubt sell these interface units for a few hundred dollars to not only keep the large S1 installed base engaged, but to allow that S1 base to continue to add new components. The problem at the moment is that I love my Sonos, and bought a lot of kit, but won't buy any more more if it makes my current set up redundant or marginalised. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Not going to happen. 

In case it’s not clear, you don’t have to brick your S1 gear to get the 30% discount.  You can continue to use it or sell it as you wish.

But I agree that there is no way Sonos is going to put that much effort into getting S1 and S2 systems to interface like that.  It’s probably a lot of development for a relatively small, and shrinking, market. Many of those who could use the device would be offended that they have to buy another device, and others with smaller system could replace speakers for the same or less cost.

I ran an S1 and S2 system for awhile, and just divided it up by rooms as I was unlikely to group together.  I could have also connected an S1 Connect to an S2 Port for a low tech interface.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Right now I see S1/S2 users in a 35/65 split. I assume this decline will continue, but I am too lazy to generate historical data for this.

I think it highly unlikely that Sonos would do this, and especially for a “couple hundred dollars”.

The problem at the moment is that I love my Sonos, and bought a lot of kit, but won't buy any more more if it makes my current set up redundant or marginalised. 

There are so many options in the market today, that this may not be a problem. Any time that you want to expand, post on what you have running under S1 and what you hope to achieve via expansion. Some one will probably chip in with a solution that does not compel you to move to S2, via solutions from other makes.

PS: your system today seems to be blessed with a handful of Sonos line in jacks, which is a good thing for implementing future third party solutions.