Answered

Router connection to Connect amp

• 20 October 2018
  • 6 replies

I am not that computer literate so I am probably asking a couple of very dumb questions about reInstalling my Sonos kit.

We are moving into a new flat and the router is located in one corner of the main living area. There is one Ethernet socket on the wall opposite.
(1) If I connect my Sonos Connect: Amp to the Ethernet socket does this form the necessary connection needed for my Sonos system to work?
(2) Ther are 2 Ethernet ports on the Sonos Connect: Amp so if I connect my smart HDTV to the other Ethernet port will this provide a hard wired internet connection for the TV via the Sonos Connect: Amp and / or just TV sound playback through the Sonos Connect: Amp.

Thanks for helping as I am not really sure where to start!
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 20 October 2018, 18:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - as long as Ethernet socket is active. There should be a cable plugged in coming out of the wall into your router leading to that ethernet socket. Just with you newly moving in if the router is new someone may not have hooked up the output to your ethernet sockets to the router.

That would be only concern I see in your setup shown.

For TV sound play back of course you have to hook an audio wire from the TV to the Connect:Amp. The internet connection to the TV via the ethernet cable will just provide internet to the TV (for smartv functions) but it won't pass anything back to the Connect:Amp audio wise (that requires audio connection).
Thanks Chris. When the guy comes to install the router I’ll make sure the router to Ethernet connection is made, then I should be good to go. Noted re TV, my main focus is smart tv functions and audio is secondary. R, Peter
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Another nice thing when running sonosnet (one plugged into Ethernet) is that the Ethernet plugs on all Sonos become active. So if you have a Sonos speaker somewhere a device needs an Ethernet connection. You can actually plug into the wireless Sonos unit to get Nwteeok off its plug.

Example. Say you didn’t have that Ethernet plug over near tv. If running sonosnet with at least one device in house plugged into router. Then you could actually plug the tv into your Sonosj it that was operating wirelessly and get network to tv. Making them wireless access points.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you find the Ethernet connection on the Sonos is not fast enough to support your TV in HD streaming mode you can add an inexpensive Gigabyte switch to split the Ethernet port and give the TV a much higher (1000 versus 100) speed connection.

Like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A128S24/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

They also make some very thin Ethernet cables if you are trying to hide them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGV2C7U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Chris - using Sonos units as ethernet points, very useful to know.

Stanley - sounds a good option. I can plug the Gigabyte switch into the ethernet wall socket then connect the TV and the Sonos Connect amp to it.

Thanks guys.
P
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes, that is exactly how it works and being a switch each attached device has its highest speed access to the switch's uplink port. Probably, 1000 for the TV, 100 for Sonos. That uplink port can become full if several other ports are trying to use it at once but with just the Sonos and a HD TV it is unlikely to be that heavily loaded.

Check what else you might put in that area, if under 4 devices (leaving a port for the uplink) then that small switch will be perfect, if you see seven or less devices an 8 port switch is little more expensive.