Answered

Root Bridge disappeared after swapping router...

• 21 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi All

First post....I had a BOOST wired to my router and 4 other PLAY:1's scattered around the house, all using SONOSNET. Everything working ok, and on the Network Matrix I see that the BOOST is the root bridge, and all other units are secondary nodes.

Yesterday, I received the new SKYQ hub so switched everything off, installed the new hub, then turned things back on, starting with the BOOST first. Again, everything is working ok and the Network Matrix looks healthy. However, I can now see that the BOOST is a secondary node, and the other units are now tertiary nodes. The root bridge has disappeared.

If i go to http://XXX.XXX.X.X:1400/status/showstp I can see that the designated root is the IP address of my new SKYQ hub, so looks like that is the new root bridge. I'm not worried as everything appear to be working ok, but just wondered out of interest why that has happened?
icon

Best answer by ratty 21 December 2016, 11:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Your Sky box has a numerically smaller bridge ID than the BOOST, which means it's been selected as root.

The bridge ID is a concatenation of the priority and the MAC address. The priority of a wired Sonos BOOST/BRIDGE can be 0x8000 (hex 8000, dec 32678) or 0x8F00 depending on whether the FirstZP flag is set (though that flag tends to be superfluous now, and may have been deprecated).

You may find that the Sky bridge priority is 0x8000, which would 'win' over 0x8F00. If both have a priority of 0x8000 then the lower MAC address wins.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
FirstZP is disabled on the BOOST. So looks like it's come down to the SkyQ Hub having the lower MAC address.

Many thanks for the explanation.
You'd have to ascertain the FirstZP setting from the bridge priority. The advconfig.htm page doesn't reflect the current state.

FirstZP enabled: 0x8000
FirstZP disabled: 0x8F00
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Ah, right - thanks. status/showstp is showing the boost as 8f00.b8e ....rest of MAC address, whereas the router is showing as 7000.902...
It figures. FirstZP is disabled, and it's not relevant anyway. Your Sky's 0x7000 (decimal 28672) priority would beat the BOOST either way.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Understood. Again, many thanks for your help and advice.