Roam - another catastrophic strategic mistake

Userlevel 3

Once again Sonos chooses to punish its customer base.  When S3 is released, be prepared to have to scrap your existing stuff and give Sonos loads more of your cash. If I were an investor in Sonos, I'd sell my stock right now.

I've just bought Roam. Big mistake. It messes up my current system, a mixture of S1 and S2 components. I don't know if I can get Roam working or will have to return it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7

How exactly is the Roam messing up your system?

FYI… the Roam is only compatible with the S2 app.

You can't have a mixture of S1 and S2 components, because there are no such things. S1 and S2 are systems and if you have an S1 system then the Roam cannot join it.

Userlevel 3

I don’t have the energy to explain it to you but I refer you to the worldwide fury that Sonos caused when the S2 controller was launched, and Sonos’ subsequent rowing back on its original plans.

Once again Sonos chooses to punish its customer base.  When S3 is released, be prepared to have to scrap your existing stuff and give Sonos loads more of your cash. If I were an investor in Sonos, I'd sell my stock right now.

I've just bought Roam. Big mistake. It messes up my current system, a mixture of S1 and S2 components. I don't know if I can get Roam working or will have to return it.

No punishment, no cash grab, no nefarious anything.  New devices have to run S2, they cannot be added to S1 because S1 was retired before the Roam even existed.  As clearly stated when the S1/S2 split occurred, in order to add new features (like the shiny new Roam device), you need to be running S2, because S1 devices can’t fit any new features in their small 32 MB storage and RAM.  Pretty logical if you think about it.  

Though I do find it interesting that one who stated Sonos has had a “Gerald Ratner” moment is right back buying their newest offering a scant year later.  

Userlevel 3

Why can’t the S2 controller be used to control the older Sonos products?  I understand that the older products can’t have new features added to them; I’m perfectly happy for them to run in exactly the way they do now.  Having bought Sonos when it first came out (a free iPod came with my first components to use as the controller), I’m now so disappointed with this company.

Why can’t the S2 controller be used to control the older Sonos products?

Because the components are being “controlled” by their firmware, the Sonos app is just a remote for the system.

Why can’t the S2 controller be used to control the older Sonos products?  I understand that the older products can’t have new features added to them; I’m perfectly happy for them to run in exactly the way they do now.  Having bought Sonos when it first came out (a free iPod came with my first components to use as the controller), I’m now so disappointed with this company.

Has nothing to do with the controller.  The system consists of two parts, the controller app(s) and the device firmware, and the system needs to be running the same version (S1/S2) on each device/controller or they can’t communicate with each other.  S1 devices cannot run the S2 firmware because they have limited resources, and the S2 firmware is too big due to the new features. 

And it is the firmware that does all the work, the controller just sends commands and displays results.  Everything else; playing music, grouping rooms, synching between rooms, accessing services, indexing a library, storing a playlist, adding a new device, etc. are all done by the firmware.  And if the S1 firmware doesn’t know what a Roam is, it can’t be expected to add a Roam to the system. 

Having bought Sonos when it first came out (a free iPod came with my first components to use as the controller), I’m now so disappointed with this company.

Sonos products first launched in 2005. The iOS controller app didn’t appear until 2008.

Unless you’re referring to the so-called “Russian iPod” aka the CR100? That was never free, though it was included in bundles with ZonePlayers.

Userlevel 3

I remember the CR100 (‘Russian iPod’ is a good description) but I did get an Apple iPod with one of the Zone Players that I bought - I’d never seen one before.  I think I’m just from an era when we expected things to last.  The Hi-Fi separates I bought in the early 1970s sounded just as good when I changed them for Sonos.  And if I wanted a new cassette player or when CDs came out, I bought the relevant player and plugged it in.  There was no faffing around with which system it has to be connected to.  Simpler times!

‘Russian iPod’ is a good description

https://vowe.net/archives/015184.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

They could and it is trivial. Many third party apps (eg mine) do this without issue. What 3rd party apps cannot do is cross-play between S1 and S2, because the players cannot do it, with good reason most likely.

Sonos chose to split the app into S1 and S2 versions for another reason: to have a common mobile codebase for the UX. (I can’t blame them for that, but they could have made it S1 compatible as well).

There is close to no difference at all in the Sonos apps for PC/Mac for S1 and S2, as it has the same UX code as it ever has, plus the desktop apps lack all the configuration stuff that needs updating for the S2-only devices. The only differences are the icon, the name, the version check on SSDP response, and that is probably about it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

And it is the firmware that does all the work, the controller just sends commands and displays results.  Everything else; playing music, grouping rooms, synching between rooms, accessing services, indexing a library, storing a playlist, adding a new device, etc. are all done by the firmware.  And if the S1 firmware doesn’t know what a Roam is, it can’t be expected to add a Roam to the system. 

Not really. The desktop apps cannot add new devices anyway, there really was no excuse to fork the desktop codebase for S1/S2, except to add user confusion to match the user confusion on the mobile apps.

Not really. The desktop apps cannot add new devices anyway, there really was no excuse to fork the desktop codebase for S1/S2, except to add user confusion to match the user confusion on the mobile apps.

Who said anything about the desktop app?  The desktop app is barely an afterthought at this point. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Who said anything about the desktop app?  The desktop app is barely an afterthought at this point. 

True, but they made more work for themselves by creating two more versions to support, when they could have just left them alone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Also to go back to the OPs question, I am sure the Roam will do very well. The fact it is S2 should not a surprise to anyone who has been on this forum for the last year, or who has read the annoying messages the Sonos app has been delivering to us all regularly. Seems like a cool device.

Sonos’ stellar record with supporting old hardware is almost unique in the industry, and I for one am very happy I can still use my ancient Play:5s with software that was last updated last month.

The word strategic gets bandied about a lot; the S1/S2 thing was strategic and it may still not be clear if that was a mistake for some time to come. The Roam is just a small tactical consequence, and mistake or not, it is too small to be catastrophic on its own.

I could ask this elsewhere, but may as well ask here. I am and will remain on S1, but suppose I was on S2 with a few zones, why would getting a Roam make sense to me instead of getting a speaker of similar other features with the sole exception of S2 integration, probably for a lower price from one of the many makes available?

There appear to be two main features that are appealing. First, it’s small and portable, so you can use it outside your home, a d second, it allows integration of a Bluetooth signal into the Sonos ecosystem, i.e. both Bluetooth and WiFi radios can be active simultaneously, and pass data. Something the Move appears not to do, likely do to hardware issues. 

But it’s up to your needs as to whether those items are worth adding to your system. In general, if you’re on S1, since the Roam can only work on S2, there is no value to that second feature. 

Bruce, assume I am on S2 for now. How does that bluetooth thing you refer to expand usability? Assume also that I am fine with BT sound quality.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For example it makes it possible to play music that’s stored on an iPhone to non Airplay2 capable Sonos speakers. I seem te remember quite a few people wanting this option....

For example it makes it possible to play music that’s stored on an iPhone to non Airplay2 capable Sonos speakers. I seem te remember quite a few people wanting this option....

As in: BT to Roam that is grouped with other Sonos speakers? And any other use of the Roam BT capability?

Which Sonos S2 compatible units don’t have Airplay 2?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Which Sonos S2 compatible units don’t have Airplay 2?

Connect: Amp and Connect (post 2015), Play:1, Play:3, Playbar.

And yes, Bluetooth to Roam, grouped with any other S2 Sonos speakers. Think of it as no longer needing to connect a Bluetooth receiver to a Sonos line in. It’s now built in to the Roam’s hardware.  

Right. But with any non Sonos Roam type speaker, I can play from my phone just as well. What I cannot do is get other Sonos speakers to also play the same music. 

So, if I want a portable for use outside the home/on the road, there is nothing particularly unique about Roam.

Understood, thanks!

Just one more: can a Roam stereo pair well placed inside the home approach budget hifi sound quality? Does it do Trueplay tuning?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just one more: can a Roam stereo pair well placed inside the home approach budget hifi sound quality? Does it do Trueplay tuning?

Trueplay: Yes

Budget Hifi: No (IMO) 

I would agree with @Bumper 's assessment, although 'budget hifi' can mean very different things to different people. I think if you spent £320 on a hifi you would probably get better sound but much less functionality. 

The speakers autotrueplay. No waving iPhones around.