Answered

Reset Beam to music mode from TV mode

• 17 May 2019
  • 6 replies

We had five Sonos devices in the house. They all play the same content - music from our NAS or a streaming service. We just added a Beam in the living room and connected it to the TV via the optical-HDMI adapter. (We are totally impressed with how it has improved the TV experience.)

Our desire is to hear music through the Beam when not watching TV. When we turn the TV off the Beam just sits there and we need to manually re-assign it to the common content network and reset the volume which is often quite high from watching TV. It can be reset through the controller app but this is tedious.

Is there some setting or automated mechanism that can return the Beam to music mode when the TV is turned off? The Beam has no problem turning itself on to TV mode when the TV is turned on - I seek a setting where the Beam puts itself back where it was before the TV was turned on - playing music with all the other units in the house.
icon

Best answer by DwayneA 30 May 2019, 05:35

The most useful setting I found was
  • Room Settings
TV
Ungroup on Autoplay
At least then the Beam stays connected to the whole house sound and choosing music doesn't require rebuilding the group.

Not perfect, but workable.
View original

6 replies

In the Beam's “Room Settings” in the Sonos App there is the option under “TV” to switch off “TV Autoplay” ... is that what you are after, perhaps?
  • Room Settings
TV
Ungroup on Autoplay
At least then the Beam stays connected to the whole house sound and choosing music doesn't require rebuilding the group.

• Room Settings
TV
Ungroup on Autoplay

DwayneA,

For Music Playback and automatic Sonos room grouping/ungrouping, see this informative thread on Sonos Now Playing With Alexa Enabled Groups.
Thx for the link. However Alexa is disabled in this installation. We cannot reconcile an uncontrolled open microphone in our living space.
Ah right, i appreciate it’s each to their own, but presumably you do know the mic has an on/off button that is 'hardwired' to its own LED and if the light is off, then you know the mic is off too. It’s part of Sonos' privacy implementation and reassurance to all users.
Hey Ken.
Yes, for sures on that.

I can further explain that we've been unable to agree with Google on their T&Cs regarding Alexa and for that additional reason it remains disabled.

Gotta hate that fine print.

As with every unexecuted agreement; I don't miss them, and I'm pretty sure they don't miss me.

Dwayne A
caveat emptor