Question

Replacing Connect:Amp with Amp and using Sonance VP60R in-ceiling speakers

• 7 January 2020
  • 6 replies

I have a pair of Sonance VP60R in-ceiling speakers which are currently driven by the Sonos Connect: Amp. I would like to replace the Sonos Connect: Amp with the new Sonos Amp. However, I've noticed that the power handling on the Sonance VP60R is 100 watts and the maximum power output on the Sonos Amp is 125 watts per channel; see https://www.sonance.com/in-wall-in-ceiling/visual-performance/medium-round-square for specification.

The impedance of the VP60R in-ceiling speakers is 8 ohms nominal; 6 ohms minimum, which does not seem to be an issue for the Sonos Amp.

I also have a second pair of Sonance VP60R in-ceiling speakers that I would like to connect to the same Sonos Amp; I have not previously connected them to the Sonos Connect: Amp.

Please advise as to whether I should or should not replace the Sonos Connect: Amp with the new Sonos Amp.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi agentmoulder

If cost is not the issue and you want the best Sonos tech then the Sonos Amp is a worthy upgrade. The Sonos Amp also supports Airplay2 and can be repurposed to be used as a surround speaker source_Wirelessly with a Sonos Beam, Playbar or Playbase.

Tap the link for all the info needed to properly connect up to 4 3rd party speakers or 6 Sonos approved Sonance architectural speakers. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4717?language=en_US

Cheers!

Many thanks for the response, @AjTrek1.

Please excuse my ignorance, but does this mean that needn’t be concerned about the power handling on the Sonance VP60R being 100 watts and the maximum power output on the Sonos Amp being 125 watts per channel? I’d like reassurance on this point as I don’t want to damage the Sonos Amp or the Sonance VP60R speakers.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

I would support the move to the new version only because of the plan to drive another speaker pair from it.

The power "mismatch" concerns may be safely shelved.

Thank you for your contribution, @Kumar.

So no concerns with using a single pair or two pairs of Sonance VP60R speakers with the new Sonos Amp then? I would prefer to use a second Amp to power the second pair so that I can treat them as a separate zone, but cost prevents this for the immediate future.

No concerns. And look for a 2 speaker pair impedance management switch with volume controls for each pair. That may address your needs for a separate zone at a much lower cost.

Userlevel 7

Hi agentmoulder

As @Kumar said the power concerns may be safely shelved. The Sonos Amp isn’t constantly pushing out 125 Watts; it’s there if needed. The benefit is that the VP60R’s will get plenty of power to drive them to their full potential. Conversely, the VP60R’s will not overtax the Sonos Amp.

The primary concern is to make sure the speaker impedance (Ohm rating) is acceptable to the Sonos Amp. Therefore the link I provided in my previous response.

Cheers!