Answered

Remove Bridge to improve reliability

• 14 August 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 4 replies
I received an email from Sonos this week ' Action Suggested' 'Remove Bridge'. I'm not technical minded so I'm asking the question 'Why?' What has changed that Sonos are suggesting I don't need the Bridge anymore? Have anyone of you done this and is the Bridge really not required, if so, why was it required previously? Thank you.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 14 August 2019, 17:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge +1
Update: I've gone over to Wi-Fi connection and disconnected the Bridge and all is working well.

Thanks for your help everyone🙂
Eventually, and I’m not sure I know the order of these things, Sonos added the ability for each speaker to act as a BRIDGE
They always have done, all of them, ever since the original ZP100 which pre-dated Bridge by a couple of years.

What seems more likely to me, at least, is that there’s some change that will be occurring soonish that will invalidate the SonosNet version 1, and I think the only device that can’t be upgraded via software is the original BRIDGE.

ZP100 and ZP80 also use SonosNet 1.0.
Badge +1
Ken. Thanks for the information. I now understand the probable reason for the email from Sonos. I first got into Sonos in 2014 when I bought my Play3 and my Bridge. I only have the one Play3 speaker which is in a different part of the house from the router, so I can't connect the speaker to the router, but I'll have a look at the Wi-Fi connection instructions as their email is suggesting I can simply disconnect the Bridge. I've had a look at my settings and only SonosNet is mentioned not 1.0 or 2.0. I'm assuming everyone is now using 2.0 and that's why I no longer need the Bridge. All will become clear once I have disconnected the Bridge. I'll report back.

Airgetlam and sjw. Thanks for your replies. My system is working ok, only considering removing the Bridge as Sonos has emailed me to say I don't need it anymore and as it is now 5 years old, it's worth giving it a try.

The very prompt replies are very much appreciated. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Im pretty sure the bridge is no worse network-wise than many other older units and definitely wouldn't be just unplugging and throwing it away.
Possibly a faulty power supply but if not it should help with signal and mesh but without more info I'm not even assuming that is the device connected to your ethernet.
JeffL,

The only thing I’ve seen/heard in recent times, within this community, is that the Sonos Bridge is today considered by many, as rather ancient technology and it’s old power supplies tend to lose their 'steady' voltage output, which is needed for stable performance.

It’s probably a case that your Sonos Household/Account has been identified as one that still uses the old Bridge.

The improvements to Sonos software and hardware in more recent years, plus the advancement in router Wifi technology, likely means your Sonos system is probably going to be better off, either by running your Sonos devices on your routers WiFi signal ...or by cabling an existing speaker, (or the much newer Sonos Boost), to your main router instead.

The decision of what you do about the email, of course, is upto you. I personally chose to swap my old Bridge a while back for the newer Sonos Boost.

The cheaper way, is to switch the system over to the routers WiFi signal and this document explains how to go about doing that, but personally I still like the idea of cabling one of the newer Sonos devices to the local network.

Hope this link helps:

Switching Sonos Connection Modes
Post removed, as I've been informed that I'm incorrect in what I thought was the sequence of events, and the facts pertaining to them.