Reliability issues

• 29 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi

Just checking to see if there are issues with reliability

Over the years Ive built up a fair sonos system spending approx £2600 and then an additional £800+ on replacing faulty equipment.

So the connect module fails once again this is the second time, the most annoying bit is its the least used of all the kit.

So contact sonos and share my concern about yet again having to lay out money on a piece of kit hardly used and being replaced for third time.

So I get an offer of 30% off, dont think so as I can get this already in trade up, then a 50%.

After considering decided to decline and look at other manufacturers, its a shame as originally the sonos technology was great but then their disaster of a decision to stop supporting product, the failure of the connect and poor customer service was the final straw

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’ve had equipment since they came out with the original PLAY:5, now called Gen 1. Plus a host of other devices since, well outstripping your expense, even with purchasing ‘open box’ items from Best Buy. Never had an issue. 

Given the fact that each device is a small computer in addition to a speaker, with attendant CPUs, memory, and network cards in addition to the speakers, that’s fairly impressive, but I am somewhat mindful about all computers being connected to clean power sources, etc. In some houses, that has been as easy as plugging in to the wall. In one home, I used power filtering devices, due to the ‘dirty’ nature of the mains. 

In one home, I used power filtering devices, due to the ‘dirty’ nature of the mains. 

I suspect that this is a factor. I have 12 units, including the bridge with the PSU with a reputation, but no failures so far. All my home electronics and lights run via a online UPS which directly supplies clean and stable voltage power to them, 24/7. The mains of variable quality and voltage, supplies the UPS on its input side.

So I get an offer of 30% off, dont think so as I can get this already in trade up, then a 50%.

One my Play:5 Gen 1s went wrong, so I sent it to a repair place in the UK.

Not only cost a lot less than going for a replacement from Sonos, but it was also reassuring that someone, somewhere, can actually mend this stuff.