Answered

record player to amp to separate rooms

I will be connecting a turn table to the Sonos amp in my basement. I have two floor standing speakers there. I was hoping to wire two passive bookshelf speakers in a different room (upstairs, formal living room) to the Sonos amp as wellto get that analog sound in a different room.

It would be ideal to adjust the volume separately for two bookshelf speakers in the other room without affecting the basement speakers. I have read some about line level controller or connecting a mixer two the speaker wires then to the bookshelf speakers. I suppose even connecting a Sonos port would give me that control, but that is getting pretty expensive. I am even considering unplugging the speakers when we do not want them on upstairs. 

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

icon

Best answer by buzz 6 June 2021, 01:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Mixers and line level gadgets are not appropriate for this application.

“without affecting the basement speakers” implies that AMP is directly connected to these speakers. There are speaker Volume controls that could be inserted into the wires to the upstairs room, but this will not have any control over the basement speakers.

Operationally, you’ll want separate Volume controls for each area. For he extreme purist, speaker Volume controls hobble the sound a little. I don’t know if this pertains to you or not.

There are convenient boxes that offer two speaker Volume controls, but the system operator must travel to the box in order to make adjustments. Also, adjusting AMP’s volume with a controller will always adjust both rooms. And, of course, you’ll be playing the same material in both locations.

Buzz, thank you for the advice. This is what I was hoping to hear. 

Yes, downstairs and upstairs speakers would be wired to the same amp.

My goal would be the downstairs to be as pure as possible, so no volume control on the wires to between amp and downstairs speakers. 

Upstairs speakers would be more casual listening, and the volume control would be at zero most of the time unless we are using the room or want to fill the house with that record player sound (or anything on the Sonos amp)!

I assume upstairs volume control would not affect the “pure” downstairs speakers. Operationally I can manage based on my use not having a separate volume control downstairs. Care more about the sound down there. 

Let me know if you foreseen any issues, I appreciate your help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’d get a second Sonos Amp for the upstairs speakers, you could then control the volume of each from the app.  I have a similar setup and it works great!

Bubbamke,

I agree with John76 that the overall system will be more docile with a second AMP.

If you insert an exclusive Volume control upstairs, you might occasionally have situations when the Volume upstairs is not loud enough while the Volume downstairs is just right, or you may not want music downstairs at some point. Be careful where you physically locate the upstairs Volume control because you’ll need to physically go to that location when making adjustments.