Answered

Recommendations request : powered speakers with Sonos Connect

• 2 July 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
I unearthed a Sonos Connect in my master closet and was looking for any recommendations that the user community could provide on powered speakers to use with the Connect.
icon

Best answer by biggetjeindewei 2 July 2018, 21:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
The active speakers of AVI. Superb! My Connect is connected to DM9.1 speakers, the predecessor of the DM10. Or get the DM5 if you need something smaller.
The DM's are equiped with high quality DAC, so all you need is a toslink cable.

http://www.avihifi.co.uk
Badge
Bang and Olufsen Beolab is a good choice. I use them with several Connects around the house (Beolab 18, 8000, 4000, and 3)
You will get more value for money looking at pro monitors if you can put up with the industrial looks of these, which don't matter to the recording pros that buy these for getting good sound and return on investment in their business.

JBL LSR 305/308 is just one example of many such.
All good suggestions. Rather depends on your budget. A good value option would be two gen 2 Play:5s, and sell the Connect.
Rather depends on your budget.
Speaking to just this point, with the following as one example to support the argument:
A JBL LSR 308 pair costs USD 400. The AVI DM10, about USD 2000. If I had USD 2000 to spend, would I automatically get better sound buying the latter over the former? - and I am not even asking if the sound would be five times as good, in line with the price point.
It would be interesting to see objective tests to answer these questions, which are nowhere to be found. My suspicion is that in a blind test, as many would prefer the sound of one compared to that of the other.
Equally interesting would the same question asked about a 5 pair in comparison with both the above alternatives.