Question

Recommendations on a Digital Optical Audio Splitter SPDIF

• 11 February 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
I have only 1 digital out on my Sony TV, I use a fiber optic cable to connect with soundbar. I've purchased a Sennheiser RS195 wireless headphone set up. It has a optical input too. Since only output on TV, I guees I need a splitter 1 inpu, 2 output
I also understand with using a splitter either my sound bar must be off or RS195 off. Any way around that?
Any recommendations?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hi. First, don't buy a fiber optic splitter - it's digital optical.

It looks like you could use a 3.5mm cable from the headphone socket, but the digital would probably give better sound.

I would expect a splitter to play both streams not one. You could just mute one if you only wanted the other.

I don't know of a particular one I could recommend.
You can probably get away with a cheap passive TOSLINK splitter. The light intensity will obviously be halved, but over a short cable run I doubt it would be an issue.

Both receiving devices (PLAYBAR, headphones) can be on simultaneously. Neither knows about the other. TOSLINK is uni-directional.

(Where people have attempted to use a passive splitter in reverse, as a combiner, it won't work unless one or other source is switched off. In such a situation one should use a switch.)
Badge +1
The reason I'm asking is that my hearing is going rapidly downhill, typically I'd have my TV volume turned up to '98' out of 100 for example, so I can hear it. Fine for me but terrible for anyone else. Both the soundbar & RS195 use an optical connection, so I'd be using both at the same time. Headphones for me, soundbar for everyone else.
I think it'll most probably work fine with a passive splitter. I take it that the TV doesn't offer a Bluetooth connection for headphones?