Recommend a small CD Player

• 22 December 2015
  • 31 replies

Just set up my new Connect-Amp and as I've got loads of CDs I am looking for a small, stand alone, CD player to connect to.

Similar proportions to the Amp would be good.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sorry, the posts got extremely long... ? Was there a consensus reached about a CD player?

Myself and my oh have a massive CD collection and have just had wall storage made for it as we are proud of our shiny discs... I Have not missed any point but I have 5 kids so am never going to have time to rip cds and organise in that way, and I still like taking the shiny disc out and pressing play! ☺️

Me too. But I made the decision that I wanted a copy of each. I ripped 20 CDs using a laptop whilst watching TV. Took just over a month. I now have my complete collection on a back up drive a network drive and on my phone even. I tend to buy new CDs from Amazon so they send a ripped version as well as the CD.
Totally agree with MrK., Sparx etc,...I won't give up CD's until they stop making them...still love opening them and looking at liner notes, packaging, etc. Just ordered my Sonos system and had the same question about a small-ish CD player?? Any recommendations (...a few months later?)
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
A DVD player will work just as well, and will probably be a lot cheaper. See: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007F9XHBI/ref=psdc_1036922_t1_B007F9XHAY
For all of USD 35.

Oh God, no.

Most budget DVD players sound awful for music CD playback. Come to think of it, a lot of fairly pricey DVD players sound lousy for CD playback too. 😃 The whole circuit board relies on a switch-mode power supply. The digital processing circuits and front panel display bleed interference all over the place. The jitter is usually a disaster too.

Video playback doesn't need anything terribly sophisticated to get okay results on most TVs and through the digital audio outs for multichannel surround sound. Getting analogue stereo though is a whole other ball game.

I ran a few tests using a Yamaha AV Receiver (yes, really) with a basic DVD player vs a PS3 v2 Slim vs a Denon DVD2900 (a high-end DVD/CD/SACD player from the early 2000's, about $1000) in to a pair of JM Labs Electra 905 speakers. The Yamaha receiver RX-V765 was around $800 new in 2009. The amp and speaker combo had enough resolution to be able to show the difference between running with the Denon's video circuitry on or disabled.

The basic DVD player (analogue stereo out) and the PS3 Slim (HDMI out) both struggled with timing and making similar sounding instruments distinguishable from each other e.g trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Totally agree with MrK., Sparx etc,...I won't give up CD's until they stop making them...still love opening them and looking at liner notes, packaging, etc. Just ordered my Sonos system and had the same question about a small-ish CD player?? Any recommendations (...a few months later?)

Decent small form-factor CD players are fairly rare. Depending on your budget you might want to hit the Classified ads and look for Teac PD-H300 / PD-H500 / PD-H01, Sugden Bijou CDP, DCD-50, Mission Cyrus CD players, Arcam Solo Mini - although this latter is a full amp/CD/tuner system.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Not sure of your budget, but Teac used to sell a mini CD transport that was exceedingly well rated by various stereo review websites - the kind that review $$$$ and $$$$$ level equipment, but IIRC, it wasn't too expensive.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/images/product/large/15948_3_.jpg
Honestly, I just tuck an old Walkman-style portable CD player on the shelf. It plays even while leaning between pieces of equipment. Line-in from the headphone jack, though nowadays I see I could get a Bluetooth version.
Why so complicated? Sounds the same.