Questions following the end of support announcement

• 23 January 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I’d like to have a few questions answered.

1- If the ability to upgrade existing systems is preventing Sonos from bringing new features to the market in their new components why didn’t this prevent them from adding voice assistants in “modern” components?

Clearly my “legacy” components don’t have microphones nor do some of the newer components (e.g. Port). Sonos has demonstrated an ablilty to have feature sets that match the technical abilities of various components but it would appear that they simply have chosen to drop support for older hardware.

2- In the Clarifications discussion, Ryan S said:  

• You would either have a legacy system with legacy devices and modern devices, or a modern system and a legacy system. If it’s all one legacy system, than yes, they’ll group together, but if it’s two separate systems, than they’re two, separate systems.
  • You will be able to add products to your legacy systems. We'll have more to share on the experience come May. 

While I see that you are saying that more will come in May, I don’t understand how you can reconcile these two points for any length of time. This seems to make me even more nervous that legacy system is a nice way to say that it will only work for a limited time at all. In light of the recent announcement I can’t imaging that Sonos will be rolling out new components, in say 3 years, whose firmware will be able to be downgraded to the legacy version. Some early signals would make sense given the storm that has been created.

Just to be clear. I’m not looking for new functionality from my existing components but I do want them to continue to work. I also think that there is a big diffence between saying that there will be no more upgrades (i.e. new functionality) vs. updates (i.e. maintain functionality and security). While I have no problem with the former - in fact I believe that Sonos had gone above and beyond in improving the functionality of my components - the later is what I find unreasonable.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi @patbla

What’s lacking on the legacy devices hardware wise is their computing components. The capabilities of the hardware in these older Sonos products have been stretched to their limit. Simply put, these older products no longer have the memory or processing power to support new software features or updates. It’s very different from not having a microphone or Bluetooth and us being able to split some functions. It’s reached the point where we’ll have to stop updating them, but everything will continue to work on them as it has been. Over time, we’ll start to see some services and functions that degrade as their reliant systems update. But some features won’t stop ever. 

As to your second question, I can’t go into any more details just yet. As soon as we can say more, we’ll be sharing it. In May, you’ll be able to decide if you want to keep your legacy devices operating with your modern devices, and you’ll be able to put them all into a non-updating legacy system.