Answered

Questions about 12V trigger on Sonos Port

• 7 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I’m reading up on the Sonos Port and I have a couple of questions.

As I understand it the 12V Trigger just works as an on/off trigger for my amp.  Assuming my amp/receiver support 12V triggers it will bring it back on from a sleep/standby mode.  

But it won’t change inputs, right?

If that’s the case, is there any way to do this with a receiver?

Thanks in advance!  

icon

Best answer by cjfenner 15 May 2020, 18:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I’m reading up on the Sonos Port and I have a couple of questions.

As I understand it the 12V Trigger just works as an on/off trigger for my amp.  Assuming my amp/receiver support 12V triggers it will bring it back on from a sleep/standby mode.  

But it won’t change inputs, right?

If that’s the case, is there any way to do this with a receiver?

Thanks in advance!  

Pioneer and Onkyo both have a few receivers that are "certified" works with Sonos. My understanding is that these receivers will switch to the Sonos Connect (maybe Port too?) input.

I was considering going this route but the number of negative reviews and problems put me off ( just my opinion)

I am interested in using the 12v trigger on the Port to turn on a Pioneer SC LX801, which does have “Works with Sonos”. However, because the Port does not seem to work with “Works with Sonos”, I need to use the trigger.  How can I get a cable, with the proper connectors, to make this connection?  The connection on the Pioneer looks fairly standard 1/8 in plug, but what it the connector on the Port?

Anyone know where I can get this cable?  I need a 4-6 footer.

Thanks  

Hi @cjfenner. Thanks for the post. 

The trigger uses a 3.5mm input. Can be described as a “standard Aux size” cable. To comment a little further on “works with Sonos”, we do not have any collaborations in how our software interacts with the piece of equipment. I believe that label is regarding software compatibility and additional settings for the receiver.

Actually, the “works with Sonos” capability requires one thing that is not clear in any instructions or discussions:  The “works with Sonos” receiver must be on WIFI, not ethernet, in order for it to communicate with the Port.  Even if they are on the same network, all components must be on WiFi or they are not sensed.  

So I did not require the trigger cable, once I took the receiver off ethernet and put it on Wifi, along with the Port.  The capability works great now.

cjfenner, what has been your experience with the LX801?  I am considering using a “Works with Sonos” amp and can’t find much feedback from users.