Question regarding controller

• 7 July 2008
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
I currently have a full home audio solution (speakers in every room and volume controller in every room)

What I want to do is to be able to use the Sonos controller to control all my music.

What will I need ? Will I need a Sonos Controller and a Zonebridge to connect to my computer and to have controller connect through wireless mesh network OR will I need a Controller and Zoneplayer.

Any info would be helpfull.

5 replies

Sonos is a stunningly simple solution to those who are starting to outfit their homes. For those such as yourself who already have a setup, there are decisions to be made as to the cost-benefit.

The sonos controller controls the zone players. one controller can control up to 32 different zone players (and you can have as many as 32 controllers as well...free desktop-running controllers included)

HOWEVER, having NO zone player means nothing works :-)

SO, basically, you can have a pair (or even 2 pairs) of speakers plugged into a ZP100 for example, which then could be run by the sonos controller. While Sonos is intended to have the various zone players distributed around the home (easy set up, no wire runs needed, and importantly, allows the controller to have a wider area to be used in) if all your wires run to one location you COULD have multiple zone players at that location instead. You would then want a couple of zone bridges distributed around the home to handle the controller area.

How's that for a start? hopefully it helps narrow down some questions. check out the main parts of the sonos webpage for how everything works and ask as many questions here as you want!
I currently have a full home audio solution (speakers in every room and volume controller in every room)

What I want to do is to be able to use the Sonos controller to control all my music.

What will I need ? Will I need a Sonos Controller and a Zonebridge to connect to my computer and to have controller connect through wireless mesh network OR will I need a Controller and Zoneplayer.

Any info would be helpfull.

You need the controller, a ZonePlayer for each separate zone you wish to control, and if the location of your computer is not a zone (i.e. you don't want music at the computer location), you need a ZoneBridge at the computer location.

These are the basics. Now, you say you already have a full wired system; do you know if you have all the wires for each set of speakers running to a central location? If so, some wire their ZP's (ZP80's in this case) into the amplifier(s) at the cental location. This makes full use of the current install, but doesn't take full use of the wireless mesh network, which likes to have ZonePlayers spread throughout the house for better converage. You may need more than one ZoneBridge if you have dead spots in your signal with this configuration.

The other way to install is to have a ZP in each zone/room and either wire it to existing speakers (ZP100) or have it output to an existing stereo system (ZP80). This would take advantage of the mesh network because each ZP is spread out around the house.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the replies !

It is starting to make sense.

I currently have all speakers and volume controlls going to a central location (wiring closet where Amp is located in my computer room).

I am not looking to create different zones I just want to play music from my PC and control it with the Sonos controller. So what I am thinking you are saying is that I would plug in a Zoneplayer in my computer room and run it to my Amp as one of my inputs and then I can controll What music I want to listen to with Sonos controller and If I don't want music in a paticular room I can just turn of the volume controller. I know this layout will not allow me to play different music in different Zones but at this point I am not interested in that, I am only interested in Playing music throughout my house with current setup and have an easy way of selecting the music with a wireless controller.
I'm I on the right track 😃
Thanks for the replies !

It is starting to make sense.

I currently have all speakers and volume controlls going to a central location (wiring closet where Amp is located in my computer room).

I am not looking to create different zones I just want to play music from my PC and control it with the Sonos controller. So what I am thinking you are saying is that I would plug in a Zoneplayer in my computer room and run it to my Amp as one of my inputs and then I can controll What music I want to listen to with Sonos controller and If I don't want music in a paticular room I can just turn of the volume controller. I know this layout will not allow me to play different music in different Zones but at this point I am not interested in that, I am only interested in Playing music throughout my house with current setup and have an easy way of selecting the music with a wireless controller.
I'm I on the right track :D

Yes, that setup would give you output from the ZP that you can control with the controller. Distribution would have to rely on your current system.

Note that if the ZonePlayer is in the central location, then the same problems may arise with wireless coverage for the controller. If you do have problems, one or more of the less expensive ZoneBridges can increase the converage when placed througout the house.
Userlevel 2
Yes, that setup would give you output from the ZP that you can control with the controller. Distribution would have to rely on your current system.

Note that if the ZonePlayer is in the central location, then the same problems may arise with wireless coverage for the controller. If you do have problems, one or more of the less expensive ZoneBridges can increase the converage when placed througout the house.

Thanks again for your input. I finally understand it and thanks for thinking ahead about the wireless issue as you suggested I will think about getting a ZoneBridge to increase coverage !