Answered

Question on Sonos Connect + AVR --> Zone2 --> Outdoor Speakers

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
We are about to start a backyard renovation and I'm trying to plan ahead. I currently have several Sonos speakers and am using a Connect to create a Sonos Zone for our primary home theater/AVR (Denon AVR-X3500H).

Here's my question: If I skip the Sonos Amp, go with a different passive outdoor speaker brand (leaning Polk currently) and connect the speakers to Zone2 on the Denon via the speaker terminals, will I be able to control the volume of Zone2 playback outside with the Sonos App that is tied to the "Living Room" home theater zone? Or will I need to use the Denon app to control the volume of Zone2 from the receiver?

In other words, will the volume slider within the Sonos App for "Living Room" control both Main Zone and Zone2 simultaneously of the AVR?
icon

Best answer by brucemac 9 May 2019, 18:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

That's really more of a question of what your receiver is capable of. The Connect can be setup to give a fixed volume output, so that only your receiver would control the volume. It can also be set as a variable volume, where you would use both the Sonos app or your receiver to control volume. The question really is how your receiver controls the volume on zone 2. I would assume that your using the assignable speaker ports for zone 2, than the receiver would be able to control volume. The zone preouts...perhaps not.

And in case it's not clear, you can use almost any passive speakers with the Sonos amp. I'm using Polk outdoor speakers with the Amp. You can always use your receiver for now and then switch to the Sonos amp later if you chose. The downside is you might want to stick the amp in closet or something as opposed to wear your receiver currently is. Also, with the growing popularity of outdoor TVs, you might want to factor that in as a future upgrade to your backyard design.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I do the same thing -- ZP80/Connect into an input on AVR. Zone 2 with patio speakers attached set to that input. However, the ZP80/90/Connect are only fixed volume, so you have to use the AVR's app to control volume.
I do the same thing -- ZP80/Connect into an input on AVR. Zone 2 with patio speakers attached set to that input. However, the ZP80/90/Connect are only fixed volume, so you have to use the AVR's app to control volume.

This is configurable in the room settings.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Okay, thanks all for the replies. I've read through the AVR manual and it's a little unclear if what I'm after is possible, but I've looked closely at the Denon remote app, and it's clear that at a minimum, I can simply use that app to control the outdoor volume. I was hoping I could use the Sonos app volume slider (for ease of use), but the more I think about it, it's probably beneficial to have control over both zones independently even if it means using a second app. Obviously having the Sonos Amp to add an integrated additional zone with full control would be ideal, but it seems like a pretty big expense given I have unused power sitting there today with my current AVR.

Thanks again for the replies.