Answered

Putting together a new system with some old components

• 13 August 2022
  • 7 replies

• Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Pretty sharp group here - so I will throw out a novice question. Forgive me if this is TMI. 

I have a pretty solid home system but will be moving into my girlfriends house. Her place, no sound system - so the A/V is up to me. I am starting from scratch at her location and plan on setting up an A/V closet for Vinyl and some older components. . 

Currently own Sonos - ARC, 2x One SL, and a Sub for the main room. 

I would like to incorporate some of my current pieces

Fluance RT82 Turntable (w/o built in pre-amp)

CD Jukebox, VCR & Bluray Player

LG OLED65C1 TV

I also have decent pre-amp and/or an Onkyo TX-NR676 (that says it is Sonos compatible and has both wifi & Bluetooth)  

My question is, I do plan on incorporating more Sonos gear throughout the place, but since her place is a blank canvas, would I even need my Onkyo receiver if I do not plan on hardwiring any speakers at this juncture, or should I be selling it and going a different route? 

And if I keep the the Onkyo receiver with the extra components wirelessly link to the rest of the system. Port? Amp? Connect? 

Thanks in advance! 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 August 2022, 21:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

So the Arc and pair of Sonos Ones, along with the Amp would be part of the home theater ‘room’. The Arc, of course, connects to the ARC port on the TV set. The other TV devices connect to the TV. Essentially, the TV is the hub for all things that are video related. 

To connect your Onkyo, along with the various things that connect to it, such as the CD and turntable, would need to connect to a Sonos device that has an analog in. Most receivers such as this connect to a Sonos Port, most often as a tape loop. You could potentially ditch the receiver, but then you’d need something that could switch between the various audio only devices, so I’d recommend sticking with your Onkyo, and just attaching it to the Sonos Port, and then setting up the Port as a separate ‘room’ in the Sonos software, and then you’d have all your devices connected, and play them where you want. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since the Port can only accept one source, you’d be using the Onkyo, a seven channel receiver, as a switch to get the sound from your CD-player and turntable into the Sonos universe. It seems a pity not to connect at least two speakers to it and bring Sonos sources to another room in your home.

“ The Arc, of course, connects to the ARC port on the TV set. The other TV devices connect to the TV. Essentially, the TV is the hub for all things that are video related.” 

Yes! Thank you. This is the part that was throwing me - the TV being part of the video hub. Sounds like if I connect the Port, it is endless possibilities from there. Thank you! 

Since the Port can only accept one source, you’d be using the Onkyo, a seven channel receiver, as a switch to get the sound from your CD-player and turntable into the Sonos universe. It seems a pity not to connect at least two speakers to it and bring Sonos sources to another room in your home.

I have several Bose and H/K speakers I can utilize in other spaces, when I am feeling ambitious enough to climb in the ceiling.  

OK, I am still having some challenges, and probably just because I do not understand the Port very well. 

“Living Room” Sonos  Arc, Sub and 2x One SL

“TV Room” (AV Closet) Sonos Port, Onkyo TX-NR676, Phono, Pioneer CD Juke

The only RCA Jack that are line out on my receiver is the Zone 2 jacks, so I have those hooked to the Port - IN (although I do have a digital output on the receiver I could connect to). The I have Port - OUT connected to the BD/DVD In. 

How do I get my port to send music to my “Living Room”? 

I have selected “TV Room” on the app and added “Living Room”. The app shows the sound little sound bars moving like it is receiving a signal, but no music is playing on the “Living Room”. 

Since I have never heard anything from my Port, I am not sure if my issue is the Port, or my receiver. 

1. From the Rooms tab, tap Living Room.
  2. From the Browse menu, tap Line-In.
  3. Tap the Port room name to start playback.
  1. From the Rooms tab, tap Living Room.
  2. From the Browse menu, tap Line-In.
  3. Tap the Port room name to start playback.

Thank you! I had it right on the Port, but your instructions helped know to look elsewhere, it was my receiver settings for enabling the 2nd room giving me fits. All these great tools can be a bit much for the remedial mind. It sounds incredible now!