Answered

Problem getting a Pro-ject T1 SB turntable to work with brand new Sonos Play 5

• 12 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi all, hoping to som help.  I am a Newby so learning as I go here.

I have read the other post and they don’t seem to apply to me.

Just unboxed my pro-ject T1 SB, plugged in the R/W cable into the back of the turntable and then connected to the 3.5 converter into the back of my Play 5.  I have made sure all settings were set exactly to instructions.  When I play an album and connect to Line in I hear nothing but a buzz from the Play 5.  

I do not get music from the turntable.  What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Greg

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 July 2020, 01:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Couple of things to look at.

First, make sure you’ve turned on the pre-amp built in to the turntable. The switch, wherever it is, should be set to ‘Line’ and not ‘Phono’.

Second, depending on which generation of the PLAY:5 you have, make sure you’re plugged in to the line in, and not the headphone port. 

It might be worth reviewing the Line In FAQ, and try adjusting some of the settings. 

Bruce, thank you so much for the help.  Did not realize there was a switch on the bottom of the pro-ject turntable.  I set that to “Line Out” and it definitely helped the problem.

I am still getting feedback from the speaker but I think it might be the cable that I am using.  I ordered a new Audio Y splitter adapter cable and will se if that fixes the problem.

Getting closer!

Greg

Happy to have been some slight assistance. One thing I’ve found over years with cables is it never hurts to pull them out, and then reseat them, on the offhand chance they’ve not made a great connection.  Good luck!

Great idea!  Thanks again Bruce!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I can really recommend a good quality cable with double or triple shielding to avoid static noise.