Pro-Ject Essential III to Pro-Ject Amp Box S2 to Sonos Amp - No sound

• 4 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Help!

I am failing to get sound from my turntable. I have the Pro-ject Essential III (no pre-amp) connected with the turntable RCA wires into the Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 RCA in ports. Then from the Amp Box out ports connected to the Sonos Amp RCA in port.

I can get sound to the speakers if I stream music into the Sonos Amp from my phone. But turning on the turntable and playing vinyl, I only hear the slightest sound from the turntable. Not sound through the Amp or speakers.

Somewhere between the Turntable and Amp is a problem, but I have tried everything I can think. The turntable has no pre-amp, but I have an external pre-amp connected. There is no switch on the turntable for phone/line out. The Phono Box S2 seems to be working, at least the light is on.

Help!!!!

Thank you for any insights!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

In the Sonos app, do you have Autoplay enabled under the Line-In settings of your Amp? Have you adjusted the Source Level? Under Browse, have you tried scrolling to the bottom and tapping “Line-In”?

Userlevel 7

From the Pro-Ject III manual: 

Connection to the Amplifier
The record player has a captive tonearm signal lead (12) for connection to the amplifier. Use the Phono input (sometimes labelled gram, disc or RIAA) on your amplifier. Make sure that the phono input offers correct matching and amplification for the type of cartridge used. Line inputs (such as CD, Tuner, Tape or Video) are not suitable.

Take care to connect the left and right channels correctly. The right channel is usually marked red, the left channel black or white. Check the manual supplied with your amplifier for relevant information. The earthing wire of the tonearm lead should be connected to the earth terminal on your amplifier (if provided).

If your amplifier does not have an input suitable for phono cartridges you will require a separate phono amplifier stage for MM or MC cartridges which is then connected between the record player and a free line level input of the amplifier.

For detailed product information regarding Pro-Ject Audio phono amplifiers please refer to the Pro-Ject web site www.project-audio.com.

Thanks. Yes I have the source as “Line-In” within the Sonos app.

Userlevel 7

Does enabling Autoplay or adjusting the Source Level make any difference?

No, It does not seem to make a difference. I have changed the source level from level 1 up to level 10, but no difference. And I have turned Autoplay off and then back on as well.

Thanks!

Badge +20

It’s possible the Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 is faulty amongst several things that can go wrong.

Double check you are using the TT to the IN on the preamp.

Also try the TT without using the Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 to see if you can hear anything with the source level at 10.

Edit... you made no mention of the cartridge is is MC or MM? 

Userlevel 7

@tcmoen Have you adjusted the switches on the bottom of the phono box according to the cartridge you are using? See instructions here: https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Manual_Phono-Box-S2.pdf

@Belly M - The cartridge is an MM Ortofon OM 10.

I’ve tried adjusting the switches on the bottom of the phono box - but to be honest, I am not that familiar with how the gain, impedance works.

Badge +20

Can you test the Sonos Amp line in with another device such as a CD / DVD or anything with a line out.

Beyond that you might need help to test the TT and preamp at a local hi-fi shop.

@Belly M - Thanks. I’ll try another device first. Thank you for trying to help!