Privacy Concerns

• 30 August 2017
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I bought the Sonos 5 to stream music period!. If I wanted a snooping, listening always on "assistant" I would have bought the Google Home or the Amazon Alexa. If I am forced to add this capability to my Sonos 5 with a mandatory "upgrade" I would rather brick the device and simply use it as a Powered Speaker...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

[...] Posted on SlashDot
"Sonos has confirmed that existing customers will not be given an option to opt out of its new privacy policy, leaving customers with sound systems that may eventually "cease to function".

NOT the Sonos units will cease to function, the RESPECTIVE SERVICE will (e.g. Audible or Alexa).
Userlevel 1
Badge
I yearn for a simpler world where music was played without commercials, where phones would not track you, where updates meant device replacement where cars.needed driving and data centers did not run advanced analytics. I guess you are all in love with what Sonos is doing and I'm sure the company means well. However with the constant aquistions of technology companies and the sucking sound of data from the Audio system I for one choose not to be part of it.

For sale Sonos 5 with original packaging...
I guess that begs the question: Why in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks did you agree to the privacy statement in the first place? Those nefarious snooping microphones didn't appear in an update, they were there when you bought the units. The same evil corporate data sucking you are afraid of now was going on at the time you bought the P:5's. So what has changed? Have your eyes really been opened by an internet news story riddled with inaccuracies?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

For sale Sonos 5 with original packaging...

Sorry, I never buy electronics secondhand because I'm afraid people have installed surveillance equipment in them.

Sorry, I never buy electronics secondhand because I'm afraid people have installed surveillance equipment in them.

Or something even more nefarious, given the Teddy K-like anti-technology rant above. 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge
I see that the crowd here is mostly pro Sonos and I failed in stating my disappointment in the product. So let me change tack and approach the harbour from a different close reach hopefully to garner support here. I bought my one and only Sonos 5 product after spending time with a family member that has many Sonos products. I loved the audible clarity and ease of use. I thought the ability to adjust for room acoustics was a plus. I was hooked. I was also very nervous. I'm not sure if anyone here has dated online but if you have I'm sure you have been seduced by the online promise. I dived in. She arrived as promised, in a beautiful box with a clever latch. She was shy at first. I had to add her to my wifi family but once accepted she performed as promised. The first Kizz was amazing, I felt that feeling of falling in love. I played it cool at first. Only a few Led Zeppling tracks possible a old Rod Stewart track or two but nothing heavy. I gave her space. We would play often. We did an opera and a Andy Williams. We skipped joyfully over a limp bizkit track or two but who cares nobody is listening. We dated for about 9 months, we traveled back from Texas to Virginia I thought this was a long term relationship.Then things changed. She became demanding. She wanted new things. She wanted to invite others into our relationship.
Dear Lord, that analogy is absurd and shows a willful ignorance of the privacy policy and the corrections to your misinformed opinions stated right here in this thread. It is your choice and your choice only to invite others into the relationship. Choose not to, and your beloved Sonos goes on being a one man woman just like before. Your paranoia about her wanting others is going to cost you a good relationship.
Userlevel 1
Badge
You judge me wrongly sir! Why can I not enjoy and trust another?
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Well if an analogy works best for you; You already told her parents where you live and how to reach you when you brought her home, you might have shared your best friend with her who taught her great music, she also brought her best friend in and gave you even more joy of music. She now is telling you she can bring more friends over if you let her, but is okay with it if you don't. If you don't keep up with the world and stop talking to her parents you might loose a friend or two, but you will still have each other and your shared friend in the end... :S
Userlevel 1
Badge
It sounds like herpies. I'm sorry I need more. Actually less.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I bought the Sonos 5 to stream music period!. If I wanted a snooping, listening always on "assistant" I would have bought the Google Home or the Amazon Alexa. If I am forced to add this capability to my Sonos 5 with a mandatory "upgrade" I would rather brick the device and simply use it as a Powered Speaker...

So let's get back to your initial post: You are NOT forced to do this, just decline the statement and the updates and simply use the Play:5 as a powered speaker, remove it from your network and use the line-in!

By the way; this "added capability" will only work if you both update AND add a voice-capable device to your system.
Userlevel 1
Badge
$500 for a amped speaker wow. Sounds like dating on Craigslist..I'm not judging here...judge free zone.
Dear God, sell your freaking Sonos so we may be rid of your nonsense.
If you're in Europe, @Reston. You have the right for all your data to be deleted as from April next year. http://www.eugdpr.org/the-regulation.html