Price Increase

• 27 December 2019
  • 12 replies

I just got the email of a $50 price increase coming January 9th for Port and Amp….. this maybe the beginning of out-pricing their product.  What’s everyone else’s thoughts on this? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I’m unsurprised. Sonos hasn’t raised prices frequently, it makes sense that they need to adjust prices in the marketplace. 

In fact, I’m a little impressed that they’re giving an advanced warning, rather than just telling us the day it happens. Shows consideration of their current customers to warn them in advance of a price change.

Press commentary is that for the installer business, to whom Amp and Port are principally aimed, the price increase is not significant. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I think it’s super stingy and if this is a precursor to removing support for older hardware I’ll move on. 

I’m unsurprised. Sonos hasn’t raised prices frequently, it makes sense that they need to adjust prices in the marketplace. 

It only makes sense if they aren’t making enough money to sustain.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I just got the email of a $50 price increase coming January 9th for Port and Amp….. this maybe the beginning of out-pricing their product.  What’s everyone else’s thoughts on this? 

I’ve had the new Amp since it came out.  I’m also familiar with manufacturing electronic items in 3rd world workforces.  These will be made in Malaysia which is a 3rd world work force just like China.  No way does that justify this type of price increase.  I figure Sonos assumes integrators will swallow the extra cost.  Meanwhile you can get a hell of an A/V receiver for $599 let alone $649 which will cause a lot of people to look more closely at their options.  Just another way the new Sonos leadership has no idea what their customers want.  Like an updated Player.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Press commentary is that for the installer business, to whom Amp and Port are principally aimed, the price increase is not significant. 

Thats what some say but we don't know the percentage of integrators vs private users that but these products.  They are sold in mass market stores after all.  I guess Sonos figures they can soak installers and the average customer who buys in a store can just suck it up.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

In fact, I’m a little impressed that they’re giving an advanced warning, rather than just telling us the day it happens. Shows consideration of their current customers to warn them in advance of a price change.

Oh boy….well this is the Sonos echo chamber here...

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Really.  The Port just came out and the Amp isn't that old.  Plus Sonos is blaming it on the move from China to Malaysia.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Thats what some say but we don't know the percentage of integrators vs private users that but these products.  They are sold in mass market stores after all.  I guess Sonos figures they can soak installers and the average customer who buys in a store can just suck it up.

They sell the Amp and Port in stores like Best Buy and many other mass market places. I have trouble believing it’s just or mostly integrators buying them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You could always ask Sonos if they can give you the split numbers on contractors versus individual purchases so you wouldn’t be basing any opinions on speculation and rumors. :-)

I’ve had the new Amp since it came out.  I’m also familiar with manufacturing electronic items in 3rd world workforces.  These will be made in Malaysia which is a 3rd world work force just like China.  No way does that justify this type of price increase.  I figure Sonos assumes integrators will swallow the extra cost.  Meanwhile you can get a hell of an A/V receiver for $599 let alone $649 which will cause a lot of people to look more closely at their options.  Just another way the new Sonos leadership has no idea what their customers want.  Like an updated Player.

I couldn’t agree with this comment anymore! I was going to purchase The 2.1 chan Amp right before the increase and than I  thought $599 overpriced for a only a 2.1 channel amp.