Preamplifier and Power Amplifier - Pre-out or rec-out?

• 9 June 2017
  • 7 replies

I am adding a Sonos Connect between y Emotiva Pre and Power Amp. Will my system still work conventionally with the Preamp volume control when I'm playing preamp inputs (CD, Turntable etc) as always, or will the Connect create havoc?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I don't quite follow. You wouldn't splice the CONNECT between the pre and power amps, unless you were relaxed about the CONNECT digitising the signal and running it out through its own DAC. Most people with pre/power combinations would be horrified at such an idea.

The best place for a CONNECT is in the 'tape loop' of a preamp.
Thx for your reply. So ... can i plug the "tape out" from my preamp into the "line in" on the Connect (which then runs to a dedicated power amp and speakers) and have the use of all the sources currently plugged into my preamp?
You could, but I think you missed my point.

The standard way to hook up a CONNECT to a conventional stereo is TAPE OUT -> Line-In, and Line-Out -> TAPE IN. Sources from the preamp can thus play through Sonos (to other Sonos units), and the CONNECT can play network sources into the stereo.

If the preamp has a 'tape monitor loop' it's a bonus, because input sources from the preamp can then be looped out through the CONNECT and back again. Why? In order to delay the signal by the same amount as the other Sonos players, and thus play everything in sync. There's a delay of around 75ms when using a Sonos Line-In.

What you appear to want to do is feed the poweramps directly from the CONNECT's Line-Out:
preamp -> CONNECT -> poweramps

As with the 'tape monitor loop' arrangement, this would have the benefit of ensuring that the conventional speakers are in sync with other Sonos players. However you could potentially suffer a minor quality loss, compared to wiring the preamp directly to the poweramps.

If you do propose to use this arrangement it doesn't much matter whether you send the preamp out or the tape out to the CONNECT's Line-In. The preamp output would of course be controlled by the preamp volume control (plus the CONNECT's), whereas the tape out would be at a fixed line level.
A superb and thorough reply. Thanks kindly!

The standard way to hook up a CONNECT to a conventional stereo is TAPE OUT -> Line-In, and Line-Out -> TAPE IN. Sources from the preamp can thus play through Sonos (to other Sonos units), and the CONNECT can play network sources into the stereo.

If the preamp has a 'tape monitor loop' it's a bonus, because input sources from the preamp can then be looped out through the CONNECT and back again. Why? In order to delay the signal by the same amount as the other Sonos players, and thus play everything in sync. There's a delay of around 75ms when using a Sonos Line-In.

If I may continue this to clarify my understanding of this tape monitor loop thing:

1.I get that using the line out on the preamp sends the signal to other Sonos units via the Connect, while directly sending it to the speakers directly downstream of the preamp and there will then be a delay in the sound heard via the Connect to other Sonos units/speakers.

2.From the above it appears that this delay can be avoided if the signal to the downstream of preamp speakers is also routed via the Connect, via its connection to the Tape In on the pre amp.

Is there some selection to be done on the pre amp to switch it from the mode in 1 above to that in 2 above?
Is there some selection to be done on the pre amp to switch it from the mode in 1 above to that in 2 above?
A switch, often labelled 'tape monitor'. Some preamps/amps/receivers have it, many don't. Its original purpose was to read back the recording off the tape, using the playback head in a three-head machine.
Ahh ok...the Monitor/Source toggle. I would suppose Monitor mode would be mode 2.