Power cables and international compatability

• 13 December 2017
  • 8 replies

I may need to move from Canada to Singapore in the next year. The two countries have different electrical standards and plugs. My two part question is:

1) Can I simply buy power cables compatible with the local market (Singapore) and swap out my existing ones?
2) Where can I buy the cables locally in Singapore?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Hey there, KoolKeef. Thanks for reaching out to the Community. While we do not sell Sonos Power cables in Singapore, Sonos devices will work without problem assuming you use the appropriate power adapters.

Perhaps other from the Community can advise on specific types they have used?
Hi Keith,

To clarify, plugs in the UK and plugs in North America are different. Sonos products in these two places have different power cables as a result. Singapore follows the UK standard. I don't want to use an adapter to plug my North American power cable into a UK/Singapore outlet. Can I simply replace the power cable with one from the UK and have it work without issues or are there fundamental differences in the Play:1, Playbar, Sub or any other Sonos for the matter in various markets that would not allow this solution to work?

For example, the Play 1 power supply information says it is "Auto-switching 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz AC universal input" which would seem to suggest that switching the power cable is enough. I am hoping someone from Sonos can confirm this
I may need to move from Canada to Singapore in the next year. The two countries have different electrical standards and plugs. My two part question is:

1) Can I simply buy power cables compatible with the local market (Singapore) and swap out my existing ones?
2) Where can I buy the cables locally in Singapore?

@KoolKeef how did you end up? I’m in the same boat moving from Australia to Singapore.
Hey Dav43,

i haven't made the move yet, so you may have to answer that question for me instead
I took US spec speakers to Thailand, and with the appropriate power adapters, had no issues whatsoever.

If you look at the specs printed on the speakers, you'll see that they handle 110 to 230V without issue.
And by US spec, I mean they came with US plug power cables. There's no difference in the speakers that Sonos sells anywhere, other than the power cables. It's all one single design. The packaging and power cable would be the only difference, and I'd be surprised if the packaging was different....it's much more likely just the power cable in the package.
I have the plug adapters but was looking for a cleaner (more aesthetically appealing method). Buying 140GBP of new cables isn’t that appealing however.

will keep you posted.
I have the plug adapters but was looking for a cleaner (more aesthetically appealing method). Buying 140GBP of new cables isn’t that appealing however.

will keep you posted.

Only the Play:1/One has an atypical power connector. The rest have standard figure 8 connectors available for a couple dollars on Amazon or even in the local hardware store.