port v connect sound quality

• 30 December 2021
  • 16 replies

I’ve just purchased a port (upgrade to a connect) 3 weeks ago. Upgraded to S2. So I now have an S2 system with the port and S1 system with the connect.  I continue to find the sound from the connect to be clearer than the port using Qubuz? I would have thought the port, with its improved operating system would have added more clarity, separation, etc.. 
Any thoughts? 

thanks.. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

What are you connecting? How are you connecting it? Did your interconnects change? In the S2 app, are you favoring quality over reliability? 

Thanks for the question. So, exact same connections. WiFi to port and connect. QED interconnect cables from output of port and connect to Music Fidelity amplifier inputs. With the S2 and port, I’m assuming the hi-res capability would give me better soundstage and clarity. Currently, it feels more muffled from the port. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for the question. So, exact same connections. WiFi to port and connect. QED interconnect cables from output of port and connect to Music Fidelity amplifier inputs. With the S2 and port, I’m assuming the hi-res capability would give me better soundstage and clarity. Currently, it feels more muffled from the port. 

I would urge you to check for differences in settings between the S1 and S2 app. I don’t know if you’re going to get noticeably better sound quality, but you certainly shouldn’t be getting worse. 

Thanks for coming back to me.. I’ll keep trying.. could it be “burn-in” time? 

Unlikely, IMHO. Those two processes should be the effectively same, across all devices and both OS versions. You make want to make sure that your output is set to fixed on both devices, though.

Thanks Bruce.. I’ll check that’s the case..

https://www.techhive.com/article/3546333/sonos-port-review.amp.html

The Port’s analog outs are totally acceptable. The DAC chip is the premium AK4490EQ. It’s the digital out, in Variable mode, which has attracted some criticism owing to the DSP. 

As for ‘hi-res’, well, https://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6993

thanks.. I got it.. I’m just comparing the analog outs.. 

makes for good, if not repeated debates.. we should probably just enjoy the music.. 

I continue to find the sound from the connect to be clearer than the port using Qubuz? I would have thought the port, with its improved operating system would have added more clarity, separation, etc.. 

There ought to be no audible change, but only if a change from Connect to Port is the only variable. Are you comparing the two systems running S1 and S2? They can’t be identical in all other respects to the extent needed for a valid comparison...

So the connect is running on S1 and the port on S2.

Yes, but downstream of them, everything is probably different, down to room acoustics. So any comparison of the sound quality between the two is affected by those variables. 

Have you tried switching them around, leaving downstream kit the same, to see what happens?

Or, as you have alluded, let “burn in” happen, and enjoy the music till and after then!

So, same room, same amplifier, same cable, same speakers.. all downstream exactly the same.. 

thanks Kumar..

So you are comparing by switching out Port to Connect to this downstream set up? Then the only variable I can think of that will vitiate the comparison is the volume level setting on the app sliders. I don't have S2, but I believe that now has numbers from 1 to 100 for its setting, but the S1 has no such. If the eyeballing of the sliders isn't exact enough to get them to be the same, the “louder sounds better” syndrome may apply as it does if the sound levels are different by just 0.1dB.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have two Sonos Amps and have documented a break in period with both. I’d just let the Port run for a 100 hours and re-evaluate later.  

Great stuff John76.. appreciate your comment.. I’ll do that..