Port review at WhatHiFi

Userlevel 1

A surprisingly poor review of the Port was posted on their website a few days ago. They didn’t like the:

• Poor organisation and timing
  • Little dynamic expression
  • Severe lack of punch

For them it was step backwards compared to the Connect. Interestingly they felt these attributes remained to a significant extent even when using a quality outboard Dac. To me this doesn’t make much sense at all. Sound quality which is “as disorganised as a teenager’s bedroom” and punch which is “so lacking you almost expect its corner to throw in the towel” would surely be a primarily a function of the built-in DAC and analogue stage. By saying things weren’t dramatically improved by using a £1200 Chord DAC, WhatHiFi appear to be pointing the finger elsewhere. Jitter perhaps? Any thoughts on this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Subjective audiophile reviews are notoriously unreliable and are filled with utter nonsense?

When it comes to sound it is best to trust your own ears to judge what is or is not good enough for you, I am running a Port in the same system as a Connect and a Connect Amp and I haven’t noticed any downgrade in the sound quality with the Port. You can always utilize the new purchase return window to make your own decision without risking anything.

• Poor organisation and timing
  • Little dynamic expression
  • Severe lack of punch

Meaningless drivel. Laughable nonsense. 

There was another thread about this article in which a poster said that the source organization was suspect anyway, based on previous reviews and comments. 

I am a long time Connect and other Sonos products user and upgraded to the Port and don’t hear any improvement in sound.  I also have low sound output in the variable  setting which I never had with the Connect.  I also use a Bluesound Node 2i which has noticeably better sound quality with better recordings but not the stability of the Sonos mesh WiFi network, at least not for me.  I will speak with Sonos about my issues with the Port but so far I am pretty disappointed.  The Connect was a great product.  With the exception of Airplay 2 which is important to some and perhaps many users, I don’t see the advantages of The Port, at least not yet, especially not in sound quality.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I am a long time Connect and other Sonos products user and upgraded to the Port and don’t hear any improvement in sound.  I also have low sound output in the variable  setting which I never had with the Connect.  I also use a Bluesound Node 2i which has noticeably better sound quality with better recordings but not the stability of the Sonos mesh WiFi network, at least not for me.  I will speak with Sonos about my issues with the Port but so far I am pretty disappointed.  The Connect was a great product.  With the exception of Airplay 2 which is important to some and perhaps many users, I don’t see the advantages of The Port, at least not yet, especially not in sound quality.

Owning a Connect that will not be S2 compatible I am debating with myself whether to upgrade to the Port or not. I am not needing or expecting a better sound quality from the Port over the Connect. Personally I don’t think that is possible without also upgrading the speakers (meaning the connect does not have any flaws in transporting the sound signal as it was recorded). But of course, I don’t want worse sound than with my Connect, if for some strange reason the Port does something weird like processing the signal in an unexpected way. I am all for blind tests but haven’t found any such test comparing Port and Connect so I guess I have to rely on other user’s experience (until I can listen at home if I buy a Port). Neecke, you write that you haven’t noticed any improvement in sound quality. Have you noticed any dismprovement? I am happy with no disimprovement. Thanks!

I can’t say that the sound quality of the Port is worse than the Connect.  However, it is not a better product for me.  The issues I have  with variable out are also a problem for me,  if you are concerned about Sonos support going forward go with the Port.  Keep in mind for digital out it only has a coax out and does not also have an optical out like the Connect if that is important for you.  Separately, I wrote to the Sonos CEO regarding my thoughts on the Port.  No response.  I wish they would listen more.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I can’t say that the sound quality of the Port is worse than the Connect.  However, it is not a better product for me.  The issues I have  with variable out are also a problem for me,  if you are concerned about Sonos support going forward go with the Port.  Keep in mind for digital out it only has a coax out and does not also have an optical out like the Connect if that is important for you.  Separately, I wrote to the Sonos CEO regarding my thoughts on the Port.  No response.  I wish they would listen more.  

Thank you Neecke. I am well aware of the physical differences of the Port and Connect. In my opinion the Connect is better in terms of connectivity but fortunately for me I am not in need of the Connect’s additional features. I would buy the Port solely to keep up with the S2 requirements. Of course this is not ideal but a reality.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Another poor review of the Port here.  

https://www.techhive.com/article/3546333/sonos-port-review.html

Another poor review of the Port here.  

https://www.techhive.com/article/3546333/sonos-port-review.html

More subjective nonsense.  When set for fixed volume, the digital outputs of both the Connect and Port are bit-perfect to the originals.  Any differences heard would have to be downstream, which would be the fault of the reviewer, not the Port.  Or, much more likely, the reviewer is full of it. 

Also, the reviewer stated they toyed with the EQ at one point, which means they took the Port off fixed volume, negating any level matching that was done for testing.  This fact increases the likelihood that a subtle decrease in volume is being mistaken for poor audio.  

Yet more proof why, as stated above, “Subjective audiophile reviews are notoriously unreliable and are filled with utter nonsense.”

Certainly, you’re entitled to your opinion, although obviously many other users seem to disagree. The question is, what purpose do you have to your posts here? This is a support community, not a community that deals with design issues/changes. Posting links to people who share your opinion is great, but isn’t serving much of a purpose. 

While I am no longer a Sonos buyer, and I have not heard the Port, there seems to be no technical reason for either of the two review sound quality conclusions, and based on my experience with What Hifi reviews since 2002, the probability rests heavily on the What HiFi sound quality assessments being the usual BS they have been trotting out for decades now, just to have something to say. 

What HiFi remains good as source for knowing what is new in the market, and for providing good photos of new kit, features and price points, but no more - the sound quality assessments are strictly for the gullible. Not that the US cousin Stereophile is much better, except for the measurement data that is often provided in addition that can be useful if one knows what to look for - their sound quality assessments are just a subjective and heavily influenced by the price of the kit.

PS; I also see no reason why the Port should sound better than the Connect, given the same source material. In a level matched DBT, I would expect there to be no one that can pick between the two. Even with the Hi Res music in future, if the Connect has been supplied with the same files reformatted to what the Connect can play.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi

First post here, so go easy etc.

Anyway, I bought a Port to replace my increasingly unsupported (and fast approaching obsolescent) Squeezebox Touch.

I have it plugged into my Cambridge Audio Amp / Mordaunt Short speakers, I stream files (FLAC, ACC, MP3) from a home server, plus Deezer (standard, not premium), and I have to say that the Port sounds disappointing by comparison to the Squeezebox. 

The sound is indeed flat and lacking detail, and I find myself turning up the volume in a vain attempt to gain more detail - but really, I’m just upsetting my neighbours.

The Port was my first Sonos product so I can’t comment on the Connect. But compared to the Squeezebox, I would say that the review is something I can identify my own experience to.

I hope that S2 brings some improvements, but I don’t hold my breath.

Anyhoo - thought I’d share my thoughts.

The Port was my first Sonos product so I can’t comment on the Connect. But compared to the Squeezebox, I would say that the review is something I can identify my own experience to.

I see no reason for S2 to have any impact on your finding. And I haven't heard the Port, just my two Connects bought at different times, both of which are audibly transparent in passing on the signals for amplification. But Sonos would not have played around with this transparency while building the Port, there is no reason for them to do that. And getting this transparency isn't rocket science now.

A question: in comparing with SB, did you do just that one change of replacing one unit by another, with no other hardware or source signal change? And although it appears you have addressed this aspect, sound levels being heard through the speakers also have to be identical.

Finally, an admittedly unlikely possibility: a defective Port unit.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I see no reason for S2 to have any impact on your finding. And I haven't heard the Port, just my two Connects bought at different times, both of which are audibly transparent in passing on the signals for amplification. But Sonos would not have played around with this transparency while building the Port, there is no reason for them to do that. And getting this transparency isn't rocket science now.

A question: in comparing with SB, did you do just that one change of replacing one unit by another, with no other hardware or source signal change? And although it appears you have addressed this aspect, sound levels being heard through the speakers also have to be identical.

Finally, an admittedly unlikely possibility: a defective Port unit.

Yeah, I'm not expecting S2 to have any effect either. It's more of a hope…

And to answer your question, everything about my set up is exactly the same as it was when I had the SB.

I guess it's possible that I have a faulty unit. Or maybe the SB was just a superior unit to the Port? I don't know. 

It's not a bad sound per se. It's just noticeably not as good as the SB. 

Is there some tone adjustment/filter in use in the SB? Both units need to have EQ set to flat for the comparison to be apples to apples.

And if possible, get a new Port on a returnable basis and see what happens, to rule out defect as reason.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Subjective audiophile reviews are notoriously unreliable and are filled with utter nonsense?

There are multiple reviews saying the same thing about the sound quality of the Port.  Time to face reality.  Even on a Sonos forum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

But they had a very good review of the Arc and that wasnt questioned at all. :-)

It's usually bad ones when they don't have a clue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

But they had a very good review of the Arc and that wasnt questioned at all. :-)

It's usually bad ones when they don't have a clue.

Go to any sports forum and it’s exactly the same. Any critique of your team, or how it is run, and all hell breaks loose!

I kinda get it with sport. It’s emotional. It’s a real part of people’s lives and identity.

I find it more surprisingly when people get this emotionally invested in technology companies. Apple is the most common one I suppose. But still. It’s kinda fascinating in many ways.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Plus people spend alot of $$$ on their technology and especially Sonos and can’t admit there is anything wrong.

Plus people spend alot of $$$ on their technology and especially Sonos and can’t admit there is anything wrong.

You obviously haven’t read my original review of the Playbar,and my every mention of the Playbar after that.  But hey, don’t let that stop you from making this forum about attacking posters rather than opinions.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

You obviously haven’t read my original review of the Playbar,and my every mention of the Playbar after that.  But hey, don’t let that stop you from making this forum about attacking posters rather than opinions.

Chill, man... No need to get so defensive.

I mean, he did comment opinions and no poster was actually mentioned. 

It might be relevant to note that I would ask the same questions of a negative review of sound quality of, for example, a Bluesound unit in the media. Because none of these reviews are based on a level matched controlled DBT, and are therefore subject to reviewer bias, that makes these reviews to be subjective opinions of little use to others.

It is interesting to note that we will accept the validity of DBT as a way to weed out bogus claims for Covid vaccines, but deny the validity of the same principles when it comes to mundane home audio sound quality.

No, I won’t chill.  When accused of being a fanboy by a poster whose post history shows they are only here to stir things up, I will respond with facts to the contrary.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

No, I won’t chill.  When accused of being a fanboy by a poster whose post history shows they are only here to stir things up, I will respond with facts to the contrary.  

Whatevs