Port or Amp for turntable

I am looking for guidance on how to connect my 1byone Turntable to my Sonos 5.1 system. My sonos consist of 2 Sonos One SLs, One Beam, One 3rd Gen Sub. Here is a link to the vinyl player: https://1byone.com/1byone-bluetooth-turntable-hi-fi-system-with-36-watt-bookshelf-speakers-vinyl-record-player-with-magnetic-cartridge.html

The turntable comes with 2, 18W passive bookshelf speakers that I would like to keep (they look pretty). It also has an AUX output (RCA) is on the back of the turntable as well. 

What would be the best way to connect this to my sonos system with keeping the two bookshelf speakers? Amp or Port?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Only an Amp will drive passive speakers. If the turntable does not have a preamp built in, you'd also need that (for Amp or Port).

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Do you want to continue using the speakers just for the turntable, or to play anything that is currently accessible through your Sonos system?

If only for the turntable, then you need a Port (or later model legacy Connect which supports the S2 App).

If you want to play all sources from your Sonos set up through the speakers then you need an AMP.

If you decide on an Amp then you will need to be careful not to crank up the volume too much as I suspect the Amp will easily overload the small 18W speakers and could blow them :frowning2:

Personally I would abandon the speakers and go with the Port option to play your turntable through the Beam/One/Sub combo.

Looking at the specification for your turntable, it already has a pre-amp built in, so it will connect directly to the Port or Amp using RCA connectors and the switch on the back set to “Line”.

This is curious product - leaving aside Sonos for now, do the supplied speakers play without having to buy an amp? If so, and these are passive speakers, where is this amp hiding?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

From the link to the advert, I took it that the amp was built into the turntable. There looks to be a volume control on the right hand side of the top panel.

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a port to connect my sonos system to my turntable as well however when I try to set it up it makes a different room and does not integrate the port with the existing system. Any ideas? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A room in Sonos is a speaker or a (stereo or surround) set of speakers. Unlike with Google for example, you cannot add an extra speaker to a room that does not form part of a set. So the extra Port has to be a separate room. To get the music from the Port sounding from the Beam, you have to group the Beam with the Port. You can also designate the Beam as preferred speaker for the Port. Take a look at this page: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4835?language=nl_NL

@Bkremsreiter - your profile says you have a Sonos Amp.  Is that the case, and if so, why aren’t you using the line-in on that for your turntable?

@Bkremsreiter - your profile says you have a Sonos Amp.  Is that the case, and if so, why aren’t you using the line-in on that for your turntable?

I guess I need to change that. I just returned the amp for the port since I couldn't get it to sync in the room

A room in Sonos is a speaker or a (stereo or surround) set of speakers. Unlike with Google for example, you cannot add an extra speaker to a room that does not form part of a set. So the extra Port has to be a separate room. To get the music from the Port sounding from the Beam, you have to group the Beam with the Port. You can also designate the Beam as preferred speaker for the Port. Take a look at this page: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4835?language=nl_NL

Thank you choosing the line in worked. Now I just have to figure out some volume. A little quiet for my preference 

Beyond the line in’s settings, you do have a pre-amp, either built in to the turntable, or as an external device between your turntable and the Sonos, correct?