Answered

Port + new Amp connected to a speaker selector switch..

• 19 July 2020
  • 3 replies

I have 9 pairs of Tru Audio Ghost speakers in-ceiling throughout the house connected to a Russound Pro 12HP speaker selector switch and driven as Zone 2 from a Denon 4520 CI Receiver. i’d like to connect a Sonos port to the new Sonos Amp and connect to the Russound switch instead of the Denon receiver. Does anyone know, or have an informed opinion, as to whether the new Sonos Amp would be able to drive all 9 pairs simultaneously? I like the ease of the Sonos interface relative to the Denon and can get all the content I want from Sonos enabled sources.

icon

Best answer by Paul A 22 July 2020, 17:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @emarti.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to share with you the Sonos port features, limitations, and guidelines as well as Sonos amp features, limitations, and guidelines. Based on your provided situation, of connecting the Sonos port to a Sonos amp connected to a Russound switch instead of a Denon Receiver, I would recommend just making use of the Sonos Amp as it is just the same as the Sonos Port with a built-in Amp as the Sonos Port does not have a built-in Amp with it. I would also like to share with you as indicated on the Sonos amp features, limitations, and guidelines, that the Sonos camp can power Speakers at a maximum limit of 125 watts per channel @ 8 ohms using a parallel connection which solely depends on the speaker’s power requirement.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I could have more carefully read descriptions of the Amp. I thought it was simply an amplifier that could be controlled by the Port, and didn’t realize it had all of the Port’s capabilities as well. At any rate, since I already have the Port, I’ll just continue to use it as a source for connected to the Denon receiver. Again, thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @emarti,

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

Yes, the Sonos Amp is the same as the Sonos Port with some minor difference since the Sonos Amp is part of the Sonos Home theater System while the Sonos Port is not.

• Sonos Amp has an IR (infrared sensor) -- Sonos Port has none.
  • Sonos Amp has HDMI connection for TV audio -- Sonos Port has none.
  • Sonos Amp has built in Amplifier -- Sonos Port has none.
  • Sonos Amp has dual channel RCA connection for Audio out -- Sonos Port has single channel audio out.
  • Sonos Amp and Sonos Port both are Airplay 2 compatible devices.
  • Sonos Amp has third party sub connection -- Sonos Port has none.
  • Sonos Amp has no digital optical audio out -- Sonos Port has one.

These are basic key points difference and similarities of the Sonos Port and Sonos Amp.

I hope these information helps.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,