Answered

Port Line-Out very low volume.

Badge +2

I have a Port connected to an Audiolab 6000A amp in a rack in my garage, connected to speakers in the house.

The amp always starts at a default volume level of 0db. At this level, the Port’s output is very low and I either have run the Sonos App at near full volume or go out to the garage and turn the amp up manually every-time it’s turned on.  I’ve set up the 12v trigger so I can turn it on via Sonos in the house and don’t think I should have to trudge out to the garage to manually turn the volume up every time…

Am I missing a trick?

What’s the difference between Variable and Pass-Though output on the Port? I thought Pass Through was more for AV set ups (mine is just for music) but would this work better? Would the Amp be compatible?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 March 2020, 01:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

This is the section from the documentation relating to Fixed / Vriable / Pass through https://www.sonos.com/support/en-us/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Fport%2Fport.htm%23TOC_Line_outbc-6&rhtocid=_0_2_9_5

Pass through will only work if the amplifier supports it - but this would be the answer if it does.

Once everything is on does the port provide a suffiient level to drive your amp to the volume level that you would expect by adjusting the the amps volume control? If so your real problem is the amp starting up with a default level. Sonos cannot do anything to change this.

There is nothing specifically wrong with running the port at high volume if this solves the problem

Sue Denim,

Have you perhaps tried setting the Port’s line-in Source Level to 8, 9 or level 10 in the App “Settings/System/[Port Room Name]” and set the Line-Out to ‘Fixed’ which is equivalent to full volume and then controlling the volume using the audiolab Amp?

If you prefer to control the volume with the Sonos App, then set a desired volume level on your amp and change the Line-Out on the Port to ‘Variable’.

My question relates to a Sonos Port. It is connected to my receiver using the analog outputs into anolog inputs on a receiver. When i use a different source to stream music such as cable box, XM, or other source the normal listening level is -20. When I stream music thru the port I need to increase the volume on the receiver to +10 and crank up the volume on the Sonos app to be at a similar level. I’ve looked around the app but cant find any adjustments.  I suspect there is a hardware setting that can be modified. Just wondering if its something a consumer can get access to.

I have the same issue - I watch my TV connected through my Sony amp. When I switch over to the input for my Sonos port (I have a digital cable connected to my amp) the volume is super low. I can then crank my Sonos port volume all the way up, but it really should be putting out volume at a lower setting. 

it’s like the TV output volume to the amp is normal, and the Sonos is super low. 

Also my volume limit is already at 100%

Can anyone at Sonos assist?

Frankly I’m also confused by the difference between “Variable” and “Pass-through” volume control on the Port. Seems like they can do the same thing. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @marcsanrafael.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

Choosing variable from “Settings/System/[Port Room Name]” and set the Line-Out” allows you to control the volume of the Sonos Port output through the Sonos app.

Choosing Pass-through would not allow you to change the volume of the Sonos Port on the Sonos app as it only projects the Volume coming from the receiver.

Here is a link to better understand variable and pass-through option on the Sonos app.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @mvmauro.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. we apologize for the long wait.

Choosing variable from “Settings/System/[Port Room Name]” and set the Line-Out” allows you to control the volume of the Sonos Port output through the Sonos app.

Choosing Pass-through would not allow you to change the volume of the Sonos Port on the Sonos app as it only projects the Volume coming from the receiver.

Here is a link to better understand variable and pass-through option on the Sonos app.

variable = dual volume control (both the Sonos app and the receiver.)

Pass-through = single volume control (receiver only). Sonos app is able to adjust the Volume on the Sonos Port.

I hope this helps. 

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thank you Paul - however the original question is that Port seems to use a lower base level volume than other audio. That is the original question. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @marcsanrafael,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to ask if we can try the following recommendation.

• Play music on your Sonos Amp through any available music services on the Sonos app then submit a diagnostic for us to check what is going on.
  • Turn on the TV and switch from music to TV audio on the Sonos app and then submit a diagnostic again so we can check as web and do comparisons on how the Sonos Amp behave on both situations.
  • Please take note of the confirmation number corresponding to each situation.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1

I know it has been awhile on this one however I just bought a Port and I found the same issue existed with having to turn the Port volume up a lot to be able to listen to music.

I am curious on knowing what the specifications are of the Port in the way of output sensitivity.

I found that if I turn the Port to 50% and then turn the gain controls on my power amp up until the music sounds loud it works very well.  I have the Port set on variable as I need to adjust the volume with the Port as my power amp does not have a volume control.

If you have a receiver or preamp that has a volume control you can also set the Port at fixed which puts the Port into maximum volume (as mentioned earlier) and then just use your receiver or pre-amp for volume control.  

Again - Sonos Tech person or anyone else know what the output sensitivity is of the Port?

Side Note:  I found that the Port has a burn in period of at least a couple of hours before it actually starts to sound “good”.  Before that burn in time the Port sounds very disappointing.