Question

Port fixed level out issue

• 23 May 2020
  • 5 replies

Has anyone come across an issue where their Sonos Port seems to loud when set to fixed level. By that I mean I have noticed on several songs where the vocals and sometimes instruments sounds as though I have the hifi up extremely loud and they get distorted. I have tried the same tracks through another streamer again at fixed volume with the hifi at the exact same volume and it’s fine. Have I a dodgy product or am I missing something ?  Just to prove the issue I have tried using the variable volume setting on the port as my amp has a setting to bypass its pre amp stage and that works fine but as soon as I set everything back as it should be to use the amps own volume with the port the same issue is back. 

5 replies

I think that PORT’s maximum output is too high for your amplifier input. Go to Settings → System → PORT → Volume Limit and see if you can work out a compromise. Also, some amplifiers have input level controls.

I think that PORT’s maximum output is too high for your amplifier input. Go to Settings → System → PORT → Volume Limit and see if you can work out a compromise. Also, some amplifiers have input level controls.

I have tried this I have to lower the max volume level to 85 but to me it sounds wrong still. But any lower and I start needing to turn the amp up a bit.  Is this a common place issue with the port i wonder 

What is the source of your music?

Local files on a nas drive and Spotify/Tidal. Issue isn’t as noticeable on Spotify as tidal or local files. 

Badge +1

I had a similar problem which was solved by fitting a pair of Rothwell in-line attenuators, providing a10db reduction in the input level to the amplifier. These attenuators can also be used between an external DAC and an amplifier when using the digital out connection from the Port or Connect into an external DAC. The amplifier’s volume control will now operate in a normal range.