Answered

Playing Vinyl using my Sonos Connect Amp

Badge
Hi,

I have a very basic setup with a Project 2 Turntable, a Cambridge Audio Pre-amp, an older style Connect Amp and some third party Quad speakers. I simply want to use the AMP to power my turntable and play through the speakers but can't seem to get any sound despite having followed the official guide.

Can anyone suggest anything? I am using the 'Line in' mode on the app and I can see soundbars going up and down as if it's receiving the signal but no sound through my speakers at all. I've attached some photos of my setup.

The other Cambridge Amp in the photo is redundant.

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Legnum Nick 19 May 2019, 10:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Are any of those devices a pre-amp, which would go between the turntable and the CONNECT:AMP to change the phono level output to a line level output that the Sonos is expecting?

Your post says the “other Cambridge Amp is redundant”. What I can’t really tell from you pictures is what is wired to what. In general, it should be turntable to pre-amp, pre-amp to CONNECT:AMP and of course CONNECT:AMP to speakers.
Badge
Hi Airgetlam,

Yes the smallest box on the black stack is a Cambridge Audio 551P Pre-Amp.

My setup is exactly as you describe I believe, namely: turntable to pre-amp, pre-amp to Connect Amp and Connect Amp to speakers.

Then I select 'Line in' on my app. When doing so, I can see the bars popping up and down on the graphic, but no sound from the speakers.

I should add the Connect AMP and speakers work fine when using Spotify.

Badge
Not sure if this shows the routing any clearer:

1. top cable is power to pre-amp
  2. next is the pre-amp -> cables to turntable
  3. next is the grounding cable from pre-amp -> turntable
  4. next is white & red RCA from pre-amp -> Connect Amp
  5. then the power to the Connect amp
  6. then the RCAs from the pre-amp
  7. then underneath the white cables to the speakers
  8. then you can see the power cable for the turntable
  9. finally, the connection from the pre-amp on the actual turntable (+ grounding cable)

Then it seems like you’ve got it wired properly. Have you gone through the Sonos FAQ on setting up a line in, specifically adjusting the sensitivity settings, etc? I’d also test, if you can, by running those cables to the other amp, just to be sure the cables aren’t broken. The other, extremely remote possibility is that the line in on your CONNECT:AMP is broken, but I don’t recall ever seeing that occur before. You may want to contact Sonos support directly via Twitter or Facebook.
Try an alternative source. Wire the CD player to the CA's Line-In instead of the phono pre-amp. See if it will make a noise.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I have just googled a better image of your pre-amp and I think it is possible you have the input and output connections on the pre-amp reversed. Google images shows the input as the connections closest to the ground wire.
Badge
thanks all so much for your suggestions - I will try them out later today!
I have just googled a better image of your pre-amp and I think it is possible you have the input and output connections on the pre-amp reversed. Google images shows the input as the connections closest to the ground wire.
Er... yep. Good call.
Badge

I have just googled a better image of your pre-amp and I think it is possible you have the input and output connections on the pre-amp reversed. Google images shows the input as the connections closest to the ground wire.Er... yep. Good call.

just to clarify, I did *think* i was careful to check this yesterday but I will try again.
Badge
pass me the Dunce's hat - I did indeed have them reversed! What a fool. thanks for the help guys
Badge
I can't, however, get the volume anywhere *close* to loud enough. Hmmmm. perhaps one for a different thread. Maybe a more powerful pre-amp.
Before changing the preamp, set the line in settings to the highest level and see if it suffices.
I can't, however, get the volume anywhere *close* to loud enough. Hmmmm. perhaps one for a different thread. Maybe a more powerful pre-amp.
Apart from @Kumar's suggestion to tweak the Line-In sensitivity, that pre-amp is for moving magnet cartridges only. A moving coil's output is much lower.
I agree; except in rare cases like some Dynavectors, a moving coil cartridge will need more gain in the preamp if such is the cartridge installed.