Answered

Playing hifi separates through Sonos speakers via Connect

• 6 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi.  I’ve had a Sonos Connect for about 4 years and have never managed to make it do what I bought it for, which is to play my hifi separates (turntable, CD player and cassette player) through the Sonos speakers - so I’m trying to crack this finally. I was told this would work when I bought this, but have never managed to make it work.  Looking at web pages about this, everything focuses on enabling you to play  streaming services accessed via the Sonos app, through the Connect onto hifi speakers, whereas what I want to do is the opposite way round.  Things I read suggest this is possible but don’t ever explain how! 

So … is it possible to do this, and if so, can I connect them all into the Connect via my existing hifi amp (Yamaha A-S301)?  When I try connecting everything, I can’t make anything happen.  Part of the problem is I don’t understand how it helps to have the Sonos Connect listed as one of the parts of the overall Sonos system, since somehow what I need to happen is for the Sonos speakers (I have Sonos 1, Sonos PLAY:1 and Sonos PLAY:3 speakers) to pick up and play what is coming into the Sonos Connect from the hifi separates - and I can’t see how to make that happen in the app.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by ratty 6 February 2022, 19:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

That amp has “Line” inputs and outputs. 

Wire the Connect’s outs to “Line PB” inputs on the amp. Alternatively use a digital connection. 

Wire “Line REC” outs on the amp to the Connect’s inputs. 

Select your chosen source on the amp.

Tell your Sonos speaker(s) to play the Connect’s Line-In (Browse>Line-In).

Note that the Sonos audio may be slightly delayed compared to the audio from the amp’s speakers.