Answered

Playing from Hifi to Sonos

• 11 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi. I have an integrated CD/Tuner/Amp. I want to play my CDs from this unit to my sonos speakers in other part of my home. I have a Connect. The hifi has outputs for speakers and two AUX inputs (one phono and one jack).

I have tried connecting the CONNECT from both its line in and line out phono sockets to the AUX on the HIfi unit without any result.

What am I not doing correctly?

icon

Best answer by John B 11 January 2021, 14:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You need an output from the HiFi - something like ‘Tape out’.  The aux is an input.  You would do better to rip your CDs and store them on a computer or NAS drive to play on Sonos.

There are no outputs apart from the speaker line outs.I suppose this means I can’t do it at least from this unit

There are no outputs apart from the speaker line outs.I suppose this means I can’t do it at least from this unit

I think that is correct.  It sounds like it is a complete system in itself (if passive speakers are added) - the sort of thing you would replace by Sonos, not use with it, and that would be my recommendation.  Rip the CDs, sell the HiFi.

There’s a headphone output and by connecting the jack to a phono lead and then to the IN on the connect, appears to work. BUT stripping one end of  the phono leads to the wire and joining them together and then connecting to the connect IN doesn’t work.

An output from a headphone socket to a Connect line in is going to give significantly poorer sound quality than lossless CD rips. What you are doing is really not how Sonos was designed to be used,  but it's your decision.