Question

Play 5 without wifi

• 3 October 2016
  • 9 replies

Can i use play 5 without wifi. Using aux cable?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Yes, but only if you configure it for Autoplay first. You must do this whilst it's still attached to the network.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1080
Yes. You need to set up Autoplay on the P:5 before you try to use it in this way. I assume you want to play, for example, from a phone in the absence of wi-fi?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1080
It's also worth noting that you don't need the internet to have a wifi LAN and use Sonos for locally stored content. I have used a travel router with USB port, a USB flash drive, and a Play:1 to play music from the USB drive through the Play:1, controlled using the Sonos app on my phone.
Thanks
If I have a guest in my home. How he can play his Spotify in the sistem?
He can't. He can play your Spotify if you give him access to your wifi network and he downloads the Sonos app. But Sonos are working on allowing casting the native Spotify app to Sonos, and it shouldn't be long before that will be possible.
Actually - correction. You could add his Spotify account to your Sonos, but I think he might want you to delete it after each session.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Errrr

You don't have Wi-Fi so anything that needs to come via the web can't be done.

Unless - I don't have Spotify but can stuff be downloaded to work off-line and then played via Sonos
Errrr

You don't have Wi-Fi so anything that needs to come via the web can't be done.

Unless - I don't have Spotify but can stuff be downloaded to work off-line and then played via Sonos

I was assuming that web was available in normal set up and that Play:5 question was for taking Play:5 elsewhere - if not then all bets are off.

Once Autoplay is set up, then anyone's Spotify on their phone could be sent through the line-in, although it would use their phone's data plan.

Offline Spotify content cannot be played through Sonos (other than by line-in, I guess)