Question

Play:5 owner - should I add another one or add a pair one 1's ?

• 11 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Just got a Play:5 yesterday. Like it, but I'm truely missing the stereo/soundscape aspect of a traditional stereo system. One speaker (even if the PLAY is stereo and loud enough) doesn't fill the room the same way.

So I'm wondering what I should do for the new step.

My room is approx 20' x 10'. I'm wondering if I should add a second PLAY 5 and have them both on one end, or if I should put the PLAY 5 on one end and a pair of One in stereo on the other end.

Other option would be to have another PLAY 5, but put it at the other end and keep both in stereo to make it fill the room more.

Until now, I had a traditional system with 2 pair of speakers playing at the same time. A pair on each side. I sit mostly in the middle and found that I like the immersive aspect of it.

Oh, and when you have multiple speakers, can you set their levels and EQ separatly or you have to do this for the entire group ?

What you guys think ?

4 replies

If it were me, I'd get another PLAY:5, and set them up as a stereo pair.

Then I'd get a couple of PLAY:1s (or similar) and put them in another room 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I agree with adding a Play:5 first, but maybe the sub next and then think about something for the next room.
I would also go for a stereo pair of 5s. My personal preference, though, would not be to place them at opposite ends of a room. If I had speakers positioned like that I would group them not stereo pair them. But we are all different.

You set EQ separately for each 'room'. A stereo pair would count as one room. Two grouped speakers would retain separate EQ.

Until now, I had a traditional system with 2 pair of speakers playing at the same time. A pair on each side. I sit mostly in the middle and found that I like the immersive aspect of it.

Oh, and when you have multiple speakers, can you set their levels and EQ separatly or you have to do this for the entire group ?

Preference for how music sounds best is subjective and influenced by listening past practices. Based on this and the quoted, you will be best served by a 5 pair placed where your old speakers were placed provided that this was "good" speaker placement to maximise delivered sound quality.

And you would pair them as a stereo pair, so the EQ cannot be done separately, but you can set the balance slider to emphasise sound at one side, if necessary - again, just how you did this with your old speakers.